Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dieseldog13

Surf Casting, matching rod/reel

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I would like your thoughts on pairing a Tsunami Airwave Elite Surf Rod 8' 8" (1/2 oz-2oz)  with a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500 reel. 

I am in my early 70’s and need an outfit that will not wear me out. I kayak fish the salt with my son but want to surf cast on days he cannot go. 

This outfit would not allow me to toss the heavier stuff but I think I can live with that.

Hi, Are you using Mono or Braid. If Mono I have the same reel and use 12 lb BBG. 4500 is fine. Braid , I don't like but thats me. Braid you can use a 3k or 4k size reel. What are you fishing for.

Edited by hunter123

That reel should be fine.  I have that rod and fish it with a 4000 series Conflict and conflict ll. I’m also over 70 and it is and old man set up. My best bass with this rod is 26#. Hope you enjoy this rod as much as I do. I fish it nearly every day in the fall. 

I was thinking of using braid. Would be mainly fishing for Stripers, Blues and of course Allies. Eastern CT shore. 

I have a Penn Conflict 2 size 3000 that I use on a 7’ Mojo Inshore and really love that fished from my kayak. My son has two Conflict 2 reels, 4000’s which are 3000’s with bigger spool’s. They are so light.