john1234

1 popular lure you just can’t seem to catch with

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I would like to be in a boat there.

Boat = vertical jigging

Shore just plain jigging. 

Not sure 

The guys I usually fish around are decent and pay attention.  I tend to avoid the crowds and crazy areas. It's not that bad most times.

The only time I had close to 12 lures on my line was when I hooked a bird and it went down the line.thank you to the guy that unhooked it 8 people down.:howdy:

it must be an adventure fishing there.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, Chemikillz said:

I feel naked without at least 3 darters with me. I use them in inlets and areas with a nice current sweep. Retrieve as you do the sp but slower. Throw a twitch in here and there. Darters are silent killers of the night as they give little to no feedback that they are working. 

So I’ve tried these three: black Gibbs, yellow SS, white yazuri. There’s no chance I’m not fishing slow enough - I am a strong believer that most lure movement should be lateral. Darters just don’t catch for me. It’s like some guys don’t catch with Tsunami Swim Jigs. To me the Tsunamis seem like cheating. 

Edited by Paul E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

So I’ve tried these three: black Gibbs, yellow SS, white yazuri. There’s no chance I’m not fishing slow enough - I am a strong believer that most lure movement should be lateral. Darters just don’t catch for me. It’s like some guys don’t catch with Tsunami Swim Jigs. To me the Tsunamis seem like cheating. 

Agreed, Tsunamis are like cheating. I rarely bother with soft plastics anymore. Bucktails are my game. I have a buddy that spent his first fall shore fishing with me last season. Hes a boat guy and never seen darter plugs before. He saw in real time what kind of  damage ss and mag darters do. He did some damage to his wallet the next day  stocking up on them. Definitely helps to fish with someone that can show you the ropes on a plug you have zero confidence in. And colors are irrelevant to me with those plugs. They all catch

Edited by Chemikillz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, HugeDinghy said:

the bottle darter is the single best plug to drift out of dropping breach ways or river mouths. might be the first and second, while being tied for third. its good in other situations but when you are reeling against the drop, almost straight against the drop, it is unparalleled. 

 

 

 

 always end up reaching for something else, but this is a good call and I’ll give them another try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Confidence, or lack there of, In a plug is huge. 

100%, I find that I have the utmost confidence in the sp/mag darter at night and a smack it/loaded Cordell pencil during the day which makes me not even try the expierament with other plugs for 10 casts  before I take em off and keep using my money baits. I certainly still buy them though!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 0:43 PM, HugeDinghy said:

Confidence, or lack there of, In a plug is huge. 

I'd say confidence in one self as an angler is more correct.

I remember when I first got a darter,looking at it I was like this thing ain't gonna catch ****.

3 nights later I was buying some.

the plug does not do the catching,it's the man behind the rod with said lure that catches.

knowing which plug will work best for the area/conditions is more reliable.

I never had a lack of confidence in a plug,only myself and that was almost 40 years ago.

HH

Edited by Roddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, Spotburnhater said:

I would also say an SP is the lure with least amount of confidence.   For the last few years,  I would toss them and the results always were the same.   Nothing or small fish.  I have fished Swarters, Redfins, Jointed Blue Bombers, and Mag Darters with more success and bigger fish.   I was sucked into buying them with all the hype.    

My buddy will fish the same water as I yet get smaller fish - with the SP Minnow or the Tsunami Swim Shad. I try to tell him that his mistake is in reeling in the lure - he shouldn’t. Just keep the line tight and almost deadstick it as the current eventually sweeps it to shore. 

Also, he reels in around 10:00. I prefer to keep it (any lure) fishing until it bumps up against the shore or the water is just too shallow.  Obviously, I don’t fish the CC or in other crowds. 

SP’s will bring in big fish but when big and small fish are both present I try to go deeper for the bigger ones so a Minnow may not get you there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I eventually caught fish on every popular lure out there. I struggled with the needle fish and sebile stick shad the most. I did eventually get into situations with both of those plugs where they were crushing fish when my typical rotation was barely getting hit. I also struggled with eels for a long time. I did eventually catch a whopping 20" bass on an eel, but I think they're the most over rated bait on the planet. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ArcticRanger said:

I eventually caught fish on every popular lure out there. I struggled with the needle fish and sebile stick shad the most. I did eventually get into situations with both of those plugs where they were crushing fish when my typical rotation was barely getting hit. I also struggled with eels for a long time. I did eventually catch a whopping 20" bass on an eel, but I think they're the most over rated bait on the planet. 

 

 

 

Can't believe eels came up. I suck at plugging but eels can be deadly in the right conditions. Slack water, back bays, around bridges, on jetties. For me in calmer water is when they work best and they'll work when nothing else will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fishing them in rocky areas and boulder fields at night (right place and time, no?). I hooked the eel through the nose, cast out, and very slowly reeled it in. I knew there was a bunch of fish around too, because I was catching them on plugs before I tried the eels. I've also been in the situation a dozen times where people around me were throwing eels and couldn't buy a hit, while I was consistently hitting decent fish on plugs. This was "out front" in Rhode Island, seems like they may be more productive in other locations. I also think distance is a major factor in my eel failures, they just don't cast well. I don't know, I've just never seen them live up to hype. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ArcticRanger said:

I was fishing them in rocky areas and boulder fields at night (right place and time, no?). I hooked the eel through the nose, cast out, and very slowly reeled it in. I knew there was a bunch of fish around too, because I was catching them on plugs before I tried the eels. I've also been in the situation a dozen times where people around me were throwing eels and couldn't buy a hit, while I was consistently hitting decent fish on plugs. This was "out front" in Rhode Island, seems like they may be more productive in other locations. I also think distance is a major factor in my eel failures, they just don't cast well. I don't know, I've just never seen them live up to hype. 

Live eels are the #1 bait for striped bass after dark. Be assured if you fish them exclusively that you will catch some quality bass on a consistent basis. And , there should be no fear that you will be “ out fished “ by plug fishermen. Take a look at commercial rod and reel striper fisherman who fish at night. Most of them use live eels. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that I've observed over the years is a lack of education on conditions. Many guys throw the wrong stuff at the wrong time.This is by no means a knock on a persons experience,simply something I've witnessed. Darters always require a degree of current. Bottles need some bigger water.It's the little things that count and make someone successful or not. Most guys throw bucktails that are way too big too. The minnow swimmers can be deadly,or a bust depending on conditions. It's not that easy and it never was. Needles seem to have no action,and honestly,some suck. But the truth is some are absolutely deadly,especially in the right conditions. Pay attention to wind and current.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.