john1234

1 popular lure you just can’t seem to catch with

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

I've yet to catch a striper with a Sebile Magic Swimmer. Not because I try and fail. I just do well with other lures so I never bother using the Sebiles in my lure bag.  On top of that, they cast like poop so I'm never motivated to put one on.

What's funny about this is that I've caught lakers, rainbows and smallies with the smallest sized Magic Swimmer so I have confidence in the lure. 

6 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've had two days (total) that I can say with confidence the swim shad outperformed the magic swimmer. Otherwise I've always had far better luck on the magic swimmer.

I have them original and knock off. I loaded them. They seem to ride high for me. I try to put rod tip low. I will give it a go again next season. 

The stick shad, both the original and knock off.  Fished them in the surf and ditch. Action looks/feels right just about every which way you work it, but I can’t seem to get much love on them. 

For those having trouble with needles, throw them in moving water or where  there’s a sweep. Get tight to them and keep the tension. Let the plug sweep out of the current. Be ready for a hit as soon as your line goes limp. Same with the darter, except add in some subtle and not so subtle twitches.

8 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Most lures will catch stripers sometimes but there are only a few lures that catch bass most of the time. 

Depends on the angler. I for example love me an SP minnow , it works amazing for me while others would choose something else. 

I've never caught anything on Sluggos because when I've used them, they always seemed to get bitten off and shredded by bluefish. When I fish at the canal I always have 2 rods ready......one rigged with a pencil and 1 with an SP. I don't really cast the rod with the pencil unless I see breaking fish in front of me. The rod with the SP is my workhorse and gets most or all of the action.

3 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I've never caught anything on Sluggos because when I've used them, they always seemed to get bitten off and shredded by bluefish. When I fish at the canal I always have 2 rods ready......one rigged with a pencil and 1 with an SP. I don't really cast the rod with the pencil unless I see breaking fish in front of me. The rod with the SP is my workhorse and gets most or all of the action.

What setup to you toss the sp with? Rod,reel,line?

5 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What setup to you toss the sp with? Rod,reel,line?

Well heres the deal: I'm out here in the middle of Pa.....a good 8 hrs out of Cape Cod. My in-laws have a house on the cape and we spend 1 week per year there with them, so I fish the canal when I'm there,,,,,1 week per year. So I don't spend big bucks on tackle that I'm only using 1 week per year. For the rod rigged with the SP I use a Penn Conflict 5000 reel, Penn Battalion 9' rod, and 40 lb power pro line. It does not cast all that far with the 9 footer, but my experience has been that the fish will usually hit right at the current line, maybe 15-20 ft from the bank. I cast the SP out there and reel it with a twitching motion of the rod tip.....varying speeds of retrieve. Works for me. This past season I was there 2nd week of June and I caught Stripers every morning that week at the canal. All caught on SP.  

45 mins ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Depends on the angler. I for example love me an SP minnow , it works amazing for me while others would choose something else. 

Sp minnows are excellent but I find other stuff works better for me.

13 hours ago, klunkers said:

I am  glad  it is not just me.( SP minnow )

Put me on the list............

It seems the SP catches a lot of fishermen, and not a lot of fish !!!

There's a lot of pretty colors to choose from......

1 hour ago, unskunk said:

This is interesting. The SP has always been a top producer for me but the trick is you need to know when to fish it. The SP digs more than other similar minnow plugs and rides better with a little current and a slightly faster retreive.

In many situations a bomber, redfin or magdarter can and will be a more effective plug. The key is to know when to throw each and if you consistently choose the wrong plug in the wrong situation of course it will seem like an ineffective plug.

I'd definitely agree they have more colors than you need but like any plug you don't need them all. You could own only a bone and blurple SP and catch fish without issue in the right time and place.

2 hours ago, unskunk said:

At @$10 bucks apiece and a good rep it is by far the leading selling plug at my tackle shop.these days. Everybody buys SPs while bucktails, Redfins , bombers, mag darters and the like go pretty much unnoticed. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve