My Best Friend Killed Himself this AM

Rate this topic

mike3dr

13 hours ago, mike3dr said:

My best friend killed himself this AM.  He hung himself in the basement.  He was supposed to start vacation today and go out west with his wife and friends wine tasting in Napa/Sonoma.  We talked every  morning.  I knew he has been anxious the past month and he was fixating on his business slowing down a little and he was worried. During the past couple of weeks we would talk morning and night.  He was getting help and meds.  I don't understand it, he had a lot to live for.  His house and business was paid off, his wife has a great job.  His older daughter just got married and bought a house around the corner from him.  So much to live for but he could not get over his fixation.  I was at his house all day not understanding any of it.  I just want my friend back to yell at him and say look at all you have, and how many people love you.  I'm sad, and don't know what to do or how to help.  Anybody have any experience with this?

Sorry for your loss.

This is really sad, it was his life to live how he wanted. I hope you find closure and forgiveness. 

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

13 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Sorry for your loss.  I dont think anyone understands depression enough.  Some things make no sense.  Just be there for his family and comfort each other.

yeah, it grabs you like a repetitive bad trip and mf just does not let go even for a minute.

The only cure is some big shock form some third side, which then translates the focus and wakens the pride and need,.

Mike, I'm so sorry to read this. I didn't respond to it earlier as it really struck an emotional nerve for me. Someone I grew very close to when we were doing chemo treatments at the same time just very recently did the same thing. While part of me fully understands the thought process to some degree, there's another part of me cannot accept that road to follow. I decided to take the more difficult road and fight to the end. Not all of us have the strength to do so. Many, like your friend have some very painful demons. I just hope you stay strong dealing with processing the whole ordeal. 

My thoughts are with you Mike. 

Sorry for your loss.

Life's hurdles can be tough to handle ,sometimes too much and the person believes it's the only way out.

Its Sad to see what it does to that persons loved ones.

Buddy at work lost his brother a year ago last month. Saw what it did to him and his family .

My condolences. 

Thank you to all of the well wishes.  Believe it or not it means a lot.  Just talking with his youngest daughter and told her if she ever needed to talk let me know. I've known her father since he was 5 years old.  They are having a memorial service to celebrate his life and asked me to speak.  I don't know what to say or if I hold it thru a speech. Damn this sucks.  

1 hour ago, mike3dr said:

Thank you to all of the well wishes.  Believe it or not it means a lot.  Just talking with his youngest daughter and told her if she ever needed to talk let me know. I've known her father since he was 5 years old.  They are having a memorial service to celebrate his life and asked me to speak.  I don't know what to say or if I hold it thru a speech. Damn this sucks.  

that's gotta be tuff, thoughts and prayers man

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

Mike, I don’t know what more I can add that hasn’t been said. Keep talking to people, don’t blame yourself and understand you will never know what was going through his head. Be strong for his family. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

2 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Mike, make your comments a celebration of his life. Given how long you’ve known him, tell stories that represent who he was, where he came from and how he touched the lives of others.

Leave the discussions of sorrow, healing and such to clergy and others. Do what you know best, talking about your friend and buddy. Help people smile. Make them laugh with memories. Remind them of some stories that might have been long forgotten, maybe with good reason. 

Best! 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

• TimS locked this topic
  • TimS unlocked this topic