mike3dr

My Best Friend Killed Himself this AM

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

My best friend killed himself this AM.  He hung himself in the basement.  He was supposed to start vacation today and go out west with his wife and friends wine tasting in Napa/Sonoma.  We talked every  morning.  I knew he has been anxious the past month and he was fixating on his business slowing down a little and he was worried. During the past couple of weeks we would talk morning and night.  He was getting help and meds.  I don't understand it, he had a lot to live for.  His house and business was paid off, his wife has a great job.  His older daughter just got married and bought a house around the corner from him.  So much to live for but he could not get over his fixation.  I was at his house all day not understanding any of it.  I just want my friend back to yell at him and say look at all you have, and how many people love you.  I'm sad, and don't know what to do or how to help.  Anybody have any experience with this?

Is it too soon to call dibs?

There was nothing more you could have done, sounds like.

Hanging yourself is not the way to do it, IMHO.

You rarely do it right, and end up strangling to death , suffering for a while instead of breaking yur neck, and going out quickly.

1 min ago, Baccigalup said:

Sorry for your loss.  I dont think anyone understands depression enough.  Some things make no sense.  Just be there for his family and comfort each other.

+1

:(

I am sorry to hear this sad news. God be with you and the family at this time of sorrow.

It's been said that we are as sick as our secrets. We never really know what is going on in another person's mind. Sad business my friend.

Very sorry to hear about your best friend. I can only guess at the pain and heartbreak his family, and you, are going through.

Depression is like that, it isn’t necessarily situational, it brain chemistry  As you say, on the outside, he had a great family and plenty to live for, but in his mind there was an unrelenting darkness hanging over him. I’m really sorry help didn’t arrive soon enough.

Edited by Alferd Packer

Mike, So sorry to hear. It sounds like you were there for him along with professional help, but as stated, nobody knows what is going on in someone else's head. Very sorry for your loss and his family's. Prayers sent.

The Breese's

Sorry for your loss. Actions such as these are terrible for the living. Depression is one of the leading killers of men in thier late 40s and 50s.

I had a couple  of mine do the same.

Seek some help for yourself...

Edited by iphish

Di not hesitate to see therapist if you need one. Being a tough guy is pretty dumb.

* This deal sucks. :(

Edited by TimS
I'm sure it was inadvertent

Yea dam is right .. sorry for your loss .. thoughts and prayers to the family in this tough and dark time .. 

i know it’s hard for us to wrap are heads around why people make these extreme choices.. sounds like you were a good friend and what else could you really do.  I stay have a drink , go kiss your wife and kids and be thanksful .. I know stories like this make me do that ..