preyan

surf rod recommendations

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I am looking for recommendations with regards to the surf rod lengths, I was looking at the forums but could not find this type of information for the type of rod I have in mind

A bit of the background: I’m new to surf fishing and can only assume that I would be throwing some plugs and bucktails in ½ oz- 3oz. I live in Brooklyn so I would be mostly fishing Rockaways, Jamaica Bay and some inlets that are nearby – mostly shallow waters with sandy bottoms and, I assume some currents

From what I understand I would need a 9’ to 10’ spinning rod.

Question: is there is a strong reason to go 9’ or 10’ for the type of fishing I likely would be doing?

I’d also appreciate any advice/information regard a specific rod model that would work for my case (if possible I’d like to spend <$130 for the rod). So far I’m leaning towards either Penn Battalion 9’/10’ (¾-3) or to TICA UGSA (½-3) 9’. Btw, I got Kastking Sharky Baitfeeder III 4000 reel – not sure whether it would work with 10’ or even 9’ rods

Go with a 10ft. On the back side of the bay, the fish hang in the channels mostly. Those channels can be quite the distance from shore and distance matters. On the ocean side the fish can be right in the wash 10 ft from shore but when the surf is big a bigger rod helps a little.

Thank you, guys. Sounds like consensus is to start with a longer rod. Do you think my 4000 reel (Kastking Sharky Baitfeeder III) would work with 10' rod, or should I look into something heaver?

dickd - Elite is a bit outside of my range, but I'll try to find a used one, thank you for the tip

sbcbmx112 - are you referring to 9' SG90IS or SG1230S90? 10' is 2-5 oz and seems to be too heavy for what I need

8 hours ago, dickd said:

You could compromise on rod length and get a 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite for a very reasonable price. It's a light rod with backbone and lots of fun to fish.

I agree - this is a good compromise rod

9'6" Black Hole Suzuki.  Rated 3/4-3, weighs only 9.6oz and has impressive backbone for a rod that light. $195.00....but worth the extra dollars

Edited by jesgord

1 hour ago, jesgord said:

9'6" Black Hole Suzuki.  Rated 3/4-3, weighs only 9.6oz and has impressive backbone for a rod that light.

Agreed. I have the 10' 1/2 - 2 and it's amazing.

Do you guys think 9’6” Tsunami Elite is a good rod to learn bucktailing and plugging? Is it 'forgiving' to a newbie? I'm curious about that since I see that most folks appear to either love it (most) or hate it (some). This rod is also about 50% more expensive comparing to what I was looking at (Penn Battalion ¾-3 or TICA UGSA ½-3) so I need to 'justify' it to some extent

On 11/11/2018 at 3:54 PM, jesgord said:

9'6" Black Hole Suzuki.  Rated 3/4-3, weighs only 9.6oz and has impressive backbone for a rod that light. $195.00....but worth the extra dollars

Yes! 

7 hours ago, preyan said:

Do you guys think 9’6” Tsunami Elite is a good rod to learn bucktailing and plugging? Is it 'forgiving' to a newbie? I'm curious about that since I see that most folks appear to either love it (most) or hate it (some). This rod is also about 50% more expensive comparing to what I was looking at (Penn Battalion ¾-3 or TICA UGSA ½-3) so I need to 'justify' it to some extent

It definitely worth the money and I have used mine since 2014, never had a problem until i broke the tip by accident this year (in the car, not on the surf). So I'd definitely recommend that one to you. It has a sweet spot between 1.5oz to 2oz, but it sure can handle some heavier lures. ii have also threw some light jigs around 1/4oz, it worked OK. But honestly, If you plan to fish around the inlets of the south shore, you need a heavier rod to handle the current. I don't know your budget but i would get both the 9'6" and the 11' tsunami airwave elite. the 11' will work better in stronger currents. 

I just bought the 11' Tsunami Elite 1 1/2 to 4 1/2  heavy action. Have not tried it out yet but rod looks great. I'm using it for small chunks of cut bait ,FF rigs and T & B rigs . 

Edited by hunter123

On 11/11/2018 at 10:30 AM, preyan said:

sbcbmx112 - are you referring to 9' SG90IS or SG1230S90? 10' is 2-5 oz and seems to be too heavy for what I need

Honestly I'm not sure what the difference between those two rods is as I have the 10' 2-5, but the SG90IS looks right to me.