GetDaGaff

OnStar

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a new ride, Chevy Equinox, and it came with a 15 day trial of OnStar. I would need it for navigation as this truck doesn't have a stand alone navigation system. I think I can plug my phone in the USB and have it go to the screen with the Android app,but I don't know anything about that chit. I have a Garmin but would rather not stick stuff to my windshield if there's other options  Anybody use this and what does it cost to have it? How about the USB and app?

congrats on the new ride , I discontinued the onstar feature as my cell phone was better less expensive ( pay per call )  & the phone navigation was better and I did not have to purchase the upgrade every few years $$$ , onstar is great for an accident & no cell service area . I used to love the Garmin better than onstar but the Iphone navigation & traffic detail  just blew away everything else . 

19 hours ago, Hook I said:

congrats on the new ride , I discontinued the onstar feature as my cell phone was better less expensive ( pay per call )  & the phone navigation was better and I did not have to purchase the upgrade every few years $$$ , onstar is great for an accident & no cell service area . I used to love the Garmin better than onstar but the Iphone navigation & traffic detail  just blew away everything else . 

I'm going to hook up my droid to the USB and see if it comes on my navigation screen. Update to follow.

Update, it doesn't work. Maybe my phone is too old and not compatible? I would just like to get my phone to give me directions over the Bluetooth and have it show up on the car screen.

Edited by GetDaGaff

20 mins ago, GetDaGaff said:

I'm going to hook up my droid to the USB and see if it comes on my navigation screen. Update to follow.

Just sync your phone's Bluetooth to the car's unit. You don't need the USB cord to accomplish the Android app.

I will add though, that if your battery is low on the phone, connecting to the USB port will charge the phone while using the navigation app.

Edited by bospa357

1 hour ago, bospa357 said:

Just sync your phone's Bluetooth to the car's unit. You don't need the USB cord to accomplish the Android app.

I will add though, that if your battery is low on the phone, connecting to the USB port will charge the phone while using the navigation app.

Zackly. 

I use Waze synced to the car every day and it’s great. 

Another update. I was using an aftermarket USB cord so it wouldn't work. I changed the cord now I just press the speaker button on my steering wheel and everything works with voice command. I say navigate to say Lowes Howell NJ, it finds it and starts navigating and puts it right on the screen. Press again and say call whoever and away we go. I'm sure it's going to use up my data so I may have to upgrade my plan but it works great.

ON Star was one of the reasons why GM tanked years ago, ahead of its time and it missed the mark on the popularity of smart phones. 

On star, its nothing more than a cell phone connected to your cars " black box"

10 hours ago, GetDaGaff said:

Another update. I was using an aftermarket USB cord so it wouldn't work. I changed the cord now I just press the speaker button on my steering wheel and everything works with voice command. I say navigate to say Lowes Howell NJ, it finds it and starts navigating and puts it right on the screen. Press again and say call whoever and away we go. I'm sure it's going to use up my data so I may have to upgrade my plan but it works great.

Mine does that in my new highlander and my phone is on wifi all the time, I live in the sticks.

also I use a dash cradle that wirerlessly charges my phone, look ma no cords!

Edited by iphish

10 mins ago, iphish said:

Mine does that in my new highlander and my phone is on wifi all the time, I live in the sticks.

My new Tacoma has the charging "pad" feature but it's only compatible with Android operating systems.

Thanks, again, Steve Jobs...

4 hours ago, iphish said:

Can you navigate and make calls from the speaker button on the steering wheel when it's not plugged into a USB without touching your phone?

2 hours ago, GetDaGaff said:

Can you navigate and make calls from the speaker button on the steering wheel when it's not plugged into a USB without touching your phone?

I can. But the "apps" feature doesn't work very well. Can run Navigation from the phone through the truck. Works just fine on it's own (the phone) though. Just used it all week with a rental car recently too. I think they wanted $10 a day for a Garmin.  :laugh:

3 hours ago, GetDaGaff said:

You can, but depending on your signal strength, your nav app may lag and become glitchy. It usually depends on signal strength and carrier data plans, but in general, it works fine.

Edited by bospa357

8 mins ago, bospa357 said:

You can, but depending on your signal strength, your nav app may lag and become glitchy. It usually depends on signal strength and carrier data plans, but in general, it works fine.

With Google Maps you can pre-download areas that you'll be traveling to into your phone. Do it when you're on wifi and not only won't it drain your data plan, it'll work when you're traveling in places with a poor cell signal.