slowroller

Big moves in the soft plastic world

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looks like Lew's  has acquired Southern Plastics in Alabama. Southern Plastics produces about 80% of the soft plastic lures made in the US. Their portfolio includes the entire Strike King, Bass Pro, and Zoom lines among many other smaller brands. Glad to see that bait production will stay in the US, but it's interesting to see that all of these lures are coming out of a single production facility. I wonder if Lew's will squeeze out those smaller labels or continue to manufacture for them to keep a revenue stream.

I'm fascinated by this kind of thing, they have 49 injection machines each capable of producing 46 lures every minute and a half. That's approximately 90,000 lures an hour. The cnc aluminum molds are internally liquid cooled, so that they can go from 350 degrees to about 100 degrees in just over a minute. The molds alone probably cost 10k a piece. 

They've also developed a couple of robotic open pour machines, capable of pouring 4 colors into a single bait. That kind of ingenuity is incredible. Will be interesting to see what Lew's does with manufacturing in the coming years. 

I hope the pricing isn't impacted.....4 bucks for a pack of Zooms @ Wally World is the cheapest and healthiest high I've ever paid for in my life!!!!!!!!

12 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I hope the pricing isn't impacted.....4 bucks for a pack of Zooms @ Wally World is the cheapest and healthiest high I've ever paid for in my life!!!!!!!!

$2 for yum dingers and $4 zoom flukes. Can't go wrong. This is very interesting. I'd love to see the pouring process.

8 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

$2 for yum dingers and $4 zoom flukes. Can't go wrong. This is very interesting. I'd love to see the pouring process.

Google southern plastics, there's a video on yt that shows their production facility and how it all works. Local access tv quality, but cool to see the process. 

I would too.  If you ever tried coping a Zoom Super Fluke and having it come out perfect, you would too!  It ain't like coping a Sluggo, that's for sure!!!!!   I've made copies of the Magnum and they're alright and will crush fish but making an exact replica of a Super Fluke is friggin' damn near impossible!  :mad:

1 min ago, flylikabird said:

I would too.  If you ever tried coping a Zoom Super Fluke and having it come out perfect, you would too!  It ain't like coping a Sluggo, that's for sure!!!!!   I've made copies of the Magnum and they're alright and will crush fish but making an exact replica of a Super Fluke is friggin' damn near impossible!  :mad:

Hard to compete with a cnc'd aluminum injection mold. The shad paddle tail I make, I think I spent at least 20 hours carving, sanding, polishing before making the master mold,  then another 5 on the resin master copies. And there's still some little imperfections. 

I must say Josh,  you make quite a nice shad, id buy a home made product over mass produces any day.

Still have not produced my quality bass but the season is early 

Edited by NJ Dave

You're right SR it is hard to compete with aluminum injection.  Fortunately the only real species we need to sell to is the fish and quite often they don't care.  It's the damn fisherman we need to be perfect to and who gives a crap about them unless you're trying to make a buck off 'em.  LOL!  Nice thread.  Fly

49 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Buy an injector for short money and make a two piece mold and you will be sold.

You're definitely right, but old school Goop Kings will never succumb to the evil's of modern ways.   We'd rather go down in flames  like AC/DC  than buy a friggin' aluminum injection rig.  

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Edited by flylikabird

1 hour ago, NJ Dave said:

I must say Josh,  you make quite a nice shad, id buy a home made product over mass produces any day.

Still have not produced my quality bass but the season is early 

Thanks Dave, been a tough year up here for me. Hopefully these next few weeks fishing will improve. I like hand pours as well (obviously), but seeing the technology they come up with for the injection machines is really incredible. Might try and teach myself CAD over the winter, but I don't know if my brain can handle 3D modeling. 

50 mins ago, flylikabird said:

You're right SR it is hard to compete with aluminum injection.  Fortunately the only real species we need to sell to is the fish and quite often they don't care.  It's the damn fisherman we need to be perfect to and who gives a crap about them unless you're trying to make a buck off 'em.  LOL!  Nice thread.  Fly

Good point for sure, lures catch way more fishermen than fish, but it's fun nonetheless!