hunter123

New surf rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, All. I received about $150.00 in Cabelas gift cards. I want to replace my 11' Okumo Longtitude rod, 3 to 8 oz. Picked the rod up a few years ago to replace a rod that snapped on a trip. Rod cast OK but feels like a broom handle. Now that BP took over Cabelas, there surf rod selection is not that big anymore. I want a decent rod , under $200.00 . What They have is Mojo's, Triumphs, Airwaves. I think I want a rod that is 1 to 5 oz or so. I'll use it for chunking cut bait. A rod that is sencetive . I 'd get a rod from Tackle direct, But the gift cards Kill that. I'm heading to cabelas tomorrow . For what they have what would you all recommend . Thank's.

Edited by hunter123

Thank's Guys. I know they own both stores, But I'd rather deal with Cabelas. I'm only 18 miles from them and I can see and feel the rod there. I could spend more, but I want to get a 3k or 4k reel also for another rod.

All of the rods you mentioned are affordable, quality rods. Check their selection and pick the one you like best. I think the Tsunami will be the cheapest price wise but you'll get a great 5 year warranty with St Croix. All good choices

PoseidonSurf and hunter123 like this

Unfortunately , Cabela’s has a lousy selection of surf rods. My number one, first  choice would be the St Croix Mojo 11ft 3-8. I know this rod is $50.00 above budget, but this versatile rod will do pretty much all you are looking for. It’s a rod that works great with plugs and bait. It’s one of my favorites.

I would call this an excellent 2-6 rod. It’s not great casting 1oz, but I can throw SP Minnows very well with this rod, then  an hour later, switch to a 5&bait setup for dead sticking. It has a very sensitive tip with a more moderate action. It’s not a broomstick. Check it out. The only negative I can give it is the 60/40 split. It can be a PITA transporting, but the good far outweighs the bad.

hunter123 likes this

Triumph 10’6” is less than $200 and a decent rod for chunking with 4-6 oz weight plus a chunk. It also was fine throwing 2 oz Hopkins during bluefish blitz. It’s the only rod I have that can comfortably cast more than advertised weight rating of 2-6 oz.  I have caught plenty stripers, brown sharks, rays on it.   I have even flipped it over and used it as a conventional rod.  Only downside for me is that the length from butt to reel seat was too long at 26” and I cut it back 4” to 22”.  

Thanks all. I bought a Tsunami Airwave elite , 11'   20 to 40 lb line, 1.5  to 4.5 oz.. Rod seemed lite and responsive. Just felt great. Hope it will do. I matched up with a Penn B T L ll 6000 reel I had and never used. 704 z  just seemed a little big. But balance point for both reels was close. I'll keep the Okumo Longtitude for junking fish heads. Tsunami ,I'll use it for soaking cut bait on top n bottom rigs for blues. I picked up a Penn SSV 4500 for my other rod. . Thanks again. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cabelas is a tough place to get the equipment you actually want.  I had the same dilemma with gift cards a while back.  They are either ridiculously overpriced or just don't carry what you want.  I live within driving distance to a couple and I never see any surf gear.  One of them is the big giant store in Ft. Worth.  Has everything, but what I ever want.  

I was cruising their website today looking for surf rods.  Its a little higher priced than what you're looking for, but I'd probably spend the 50 bucks out of pocket and get this.  They look pretty nice.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PENN-CARNAGE-II-SURF-CASTING-ROD/2138479.uts?slotId=1

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PENN-CARNAGE-II-SURF-SPINNING-ROD/2138478.uts?slotId=14

Just read you got the airwave, I was looking at those too.  Hope it works out for you.

Edited by WildBillVMI
Didn't see entire post
hunter123 likes this