EricJ

People Suck...

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Why can't people just earn an honest living without having to try to steal from others?

1. This afternoon I get a random text message... "The money just arrived in my PayPal acct. I don't use it much. Do I need any info from you do to the transfer?"  Obviously a scam.
  2. Two hours earlier it was a phone call on the cell phone. Someone trying to bait me into acknowledging who I am. Most likely again trying to create some kind of scam fro this.
  3. This morning a call on my office line where someone was trying to get me to say "YES" so they could use my recorded voice for something. This happened two weeks ago as well.
  4. Then of course the various e-mail scams I received today.

This is not just today. Happens all of the time. I cannot even answer my phone for business like I would like because I am afraid to announce who I am. Somehow this needs to stop. I am not pro big government but if this continues I would not mind them stepping in to put measures in place to reduce the frequency of these events.

You’re right Eric,happens all the time at work too.

It has gotten so bad that they actually clone phone numbers of others at work so we pick up.

With all the abilities they have to try and fool us, couldn’t they find a job in programming or cyber security?

I never give my phone number or email address to anyone that I don’t know.

For online transactions I have a “burner” gmail account and for phone I give my land line which no one uses anymore, in fact I don’t even think a phone is plugged into the line anymore.

Hence I get virtually no spam on my personal channels.

6 mins ago, NJTramcar said:

With all the abilities they have to try and fool us, couldn’t they find a job in programming or cyber security?

Exactly!  So two weeks ago someone tried to call me twice on my cell phone. I finally answered and said "can I help you?" He asks.. "Is this Eric?" I would not acknowledge because I just had a feeling the call was BS. I asked who is calling please? He would not say and kept asking. All he wanted to do was to get me to acknowledge that I was Eric. He eventually gave up and said I was an idiot.

Just now, Wayne Tj said:

I never give my phone number or email address to anyone that I don’t know.

For online transactions I have a “burner” gmail account and for phone I give my land line which no one uses anymore, in fact I don’t even think a phone is plugged into the line anymore.

Hence I get virtually no spam on my personal channels.

they get your # even if you do not give it out.  Does anyone use LinkedIn for business? They are selling your contact info resulting in a lot of e-mail spam.

1 min ago, EricJ said:

they get your # even if you do not give it out.  Does anyone use LinkedIn for business? They are selling your contact info resulting in a lot of e-mail spam.

How do they get my info if I don’t give it to them?

No, I don’t use LinkedIn for business.

7 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

How do they get my info if I don’t give it to them?

No, I don’t use LinkedIn for business.

They just robo-call all of the numbers in a series. So, for example...

732-890-1001  then 1002, 1003, 1004, etc etc

Your information exists in a data base and that info is available of someone is willing to pay for it. Google your name, city and state. You will see these companies that are willing to sell your contact info for a fee. You can get a monthly subscription to those services to get an unlimited number of searches. Now, I have never done this but I know people who have.

28 mins ago, EricJ said:

Exactly!  So two weeks ago someone tried to call me twice on my cell phone. I finally answered and said "can I help you?" He asks.. "Is this Eric?" I would not acknowledge because I just had a feeling the call was BS. I asked who is calling please? He would not say and kept asking. All he wanted to do was to get me to acknowledge that I was Eric. He eventually gave up and said I was an idiot.

I dunno, it sounds pretty legit.  :shrug:  

I obtained a google number some months ago and in the first half hour i received a spam call on it.   I get those chinese spam calls on it mostly.    

Made the mistake of picking up the landline one morning when i had my resume out there and thought it might be from a prospective employer....it wasnt.  Got calls every day same time for a month or two.

Never give my cell phone out but avoid numbers i dont recognize then google them.  Got one of those suspect numbers and didnt answer.  Google shows name of a kid i went to grammar school with.....how do these people get this information.

Years ago, I created an email account I only use when a store asks or for something I am not sure about.

In the 13 years using this, it is so packed with spam and junk.  My filters contain a few hundred email addresses.  

It has saved me from so much hassle.  Not saying my real email is 100% but I only get 2-3 spams a week vs the other.

I used a free email site for my fake (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc) and the address has nothing personal at all.

My phones always ringing but I don't answer unless it's someone I recognize. I look up the #'s with spy dialer and try to return calls if I get up around 2 am. occasionally I get lucky & someone answers. Always fun!

14 hours ago, beret said:

get rid of your land line........no problems......have not had one for three years........no political or robo call........

Nonsense.

I receive spam calls on my cell all the time. 

A new one this political season was random texts endorsing candidates.  Fun.