Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

New Marine fines

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

They have just published the new rules in regards to fines for next year . It will be 100, to 400 up to $10,000 Also a $10 fine will be added to every fish over the legal amount that is in violation of the law .

If some one has the were for all to put up the whole release it sure looks like they are attempting to update and make changes that should make the poachers pay more , Including up to 2.5 years in Jail if i read it right.

OTW just put out an article on a massive poaching scheme from north carolina, where over 100,000 lbs of bass were poached. The punishment was rather light in my opinion given the size of the scheme and the fact that over 15,000 hours of investigation was dedicated to the case. There was house arrest but no jail time. If there's no jail time for something like this then there is no incentive not to oach.

Edited by Pescador710

Imposing hire fines without enforcement is like building a bridge out of tissue paper.

Looks good in the news, and may deter some of the smaller fish in the sea, but the "whales" will continue to poach and find ways to lessen the impact to themselves and their business.

Kind of like adding the cost of the fines into the price of the fish when sold....

9 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

OTW just put out an article on a massive poaching scheme from north carolina, where over 100,000 lbs of bass were poached. The punishment was rather light in my opinion given the size of the scheme and the fact that over 15,000 hours of investigation was dedicated to the case. There was house arrest but no jail time. If there's no jail time for something like this then there is no incentive not to oach.

Well at least the poachers got some punishment........But what about the markets that bought the fish........no mention of them........cannot imagine that many bass poached and the markets didn't know where the fish were coming from........Perhaps that's the ones that did not get charged

NOAA Law Enforcement Uncovers Illegal Harvesting Scheme  An Infographic   On The Water.png

I hope that the 15000 hours investigating is a typo and is actually 1500. The average person works 2000 hours a year so 15000 is 7.5 years worth of work.  That could be 7.5 yearly salaries or $750,000 spent to catch the poachers. WTF!