JaseB

The real HOMEMADE Pizza Thread

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

We've got two different conversations gong on in the other thread and I gave up reading it b/c of the pissing contests about where and what kind is best.

This thread is for the guys that make their own. 

There was some good conversations about dough hydration, cheese, oven temps, oven set ups, etc. 

I currently use a starter for my dough.  It's fairly high, 64% but I mess around with adding and subtracting, etc.  But I my starting point is the recipe passed on to me by the Prefesssor.  It's the best I've had, no credit to me.   You need a culture and that's not terribly hard to do.  Mine I got from a website called Friend's of Carl several years ago and despite long periods of time where it sits in the back of the chill chest, it comes right back to activity when I give it attention. 

I cook in my convection oven at 550 degrees on a Dough Joe Pizza steel.   The later being the biggest game changer over a traditional stone.  I still play around with oven position for my rack.   Where do you all cook in  your oven?

We either do it in the smaller top section of our double oven at 550, or outside in the Weber KettlePizza over oak which I can usually get to 600-700 for 20 minutes or so.  In both cases on a 14" square thick pizza stone.   Sauce is always homemade from home grown Amish Paste tomatoes.  Basic mozzarella, but shredded right before going on.  Toppings are usually leftovers from the week.  The dough?  Well...after messing around with a starter and hydration and all that jazz for years, I got too busy to bother with it.  So we buy raw dough.  Not from a pizza joint...from the friggin' Food Lion.  And honestly, it's great.   

Every friday night for going on probably 8 years.  Just got done.  

I’m using starter I started 4 years ago from WW flour and water.  I have a Fibrament Stone that nearly covers an oven rack and it sits near bottom of the oven.  I was getting temps close to 600 but quit that because it kicked off the high limit switch twice so now preheat to 525-550 and switch over to broil. 

My pizza is inconsistent, sometimes great, sometimes pretty sucky.   I probably haven’t made dough exactly the same twice but seem to have more trouble just forming a consistent crust without thin spots and holes.  

Dough is a simple formula- 1 part starter (100%), 2 parts liquid, 3 parts flour.   You get about 67% hydration.  This is a good starting point for any dough using whatever liquid and flours you want within reason.   For bread I usually use a small proportion of WW and spelt flours and up the starter 10% plus some additional water  so final hydration is about 75%. This is really too wet for pizza, at least for my abilities (lack of) although I keep trying it.  It does makes a decent crust if I get it on the stone in one piece and don’t over or under bake it.  Sometimes the crust suffers while I’m trying to get the toppings right.  Sometimes it’s just a matter of not letting dough develop enough, and at least once, over proofed 

One of mine, use the leahman dough calculator for making my own dough. Keeping them simple until I can duplicate everything and not have different results every week. I have a 2 shelf electric pizza oven that I cook on. Been slowly building a brick wood burning stove.

med_bbd25ab3_vbattach354446.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 4:50 PM, JimW said:

My pizza is inconsistent, sometimes great, sometimes pretty sucky.   I probably haven’t made dough exactly the same twice but seem to have more trouble just forming a consistent crust without thin spots and holes.  

I don't get many holes in mine  but i try to keep the the crust as thin as the rest of teh pie and its difficult to do that.  When stretching the dough i can get the inside paper thin and the outside is a bit  thicker.  Not really our preference to have so much crust.

It's hard to make the same dough twice since there is a dependency on temp and humidity. I use the same amount of flour and water every time but my rise times can vary wildly between 5 and 8 hours.  I go by looks to determine when its done rising.

I've been using one of these:

Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Baking Pan. Pre-Seasoned Round Baking Pan with Dual Loop Handles for Pizza...

$39.90

Sorry, could get the pic to copy. I set the oven to 500 and preheat the pan on my gas stove to 500 checking with a laser themometer. Then in the oven it  goes with dough or just reheating/crisping slices. It all goes fast and makes a nice crunchy crust.

I didn’t know about “steel” stones; but since you mentioned it decided to try it out. Pretty interesting and fun experimenting with it. I only tripped a sensor on the stove once so far.

553F63A4-E561-4114-9EEA-417E7AE40D71.jpeg

B430E2A6-F990-4233-A34F-D49C8C173433.jpeg

bringing this over here....

On 11/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, rocco said:

yeah, that is definitely ture, i go sparingly and haven't had too much trouble with the soggies. good tips on those items, about all i see is bellagiosa or something like that. i've had good results with just thin slices, but i'm trying to make the whole process faster and have been experimenting just going with a quick chop lately. mixed so far.

also a good tip, thanks :howdy:

i need to talk to my chef buddy about his neopolitan dough recipe and hydration. getting too done on top, and not done enough on the bottom, but also to crispy/cracker like on the bottom at the same time :huh: 

20 hours ago, JaseB said:

What are you cooking on and where in the oven?   Try using your bottom shelf or two.  And if you don't have a dough joe, check it out.

19 hours ago, JimW said:

Think dough joe make baking stones as well but you mean the steel, right?  

3 mins ago, rocco said:

i'm on a stone on the bottom rack. i'm not spending that much on a steel, and it sounds like that's better for ny style, and i'm trying for neo.

i have had success with a different recipe, but i was pre-cooking the dough to get everything to come out in sync. i've got to talk to my buddy that gave me the recipe and makes pizza ovens.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:03 AM, Fly By Nite said:

I don't get many holes in mine  but i try to keep the the crust as thin as the rest of teh pie and its difficult to do that.  When stretching the dough i can get the inside paper thin and the outside is a bit  thicker.  Not really our preference to have so much crust.

i had that problem too, but here's what works for me. when you first flatten your ball and its around 4 or 5 inches in diameter but uniform thickness right before you really start stretching it, flatten the edges first. i go around the whole outside of it with my thumb or the part of my palm by my thumb and flatten the outside inch or so. you end up with it thick on the inside and much flatter on the outside. now go ahead and stretch like normal. next time i do it, i'll try to take a pic. 

1 hour ago, rocco said:

i'm on a stone on the bottom rack. i'm not spending that much on a steel, and it sounds like that's better for ny style, and i'm trying for neo.

i have had success with a different recipe, but i was pre-cooking the dough to get everything to come out in sync. i've got to talk to my buddy that gave me the recipe and makes pizza ovens.

I use the steal.  I'm  working towards the same goal as you.     Maybe turn off the convection function of your oven?

1 hour ago, rollincoal said:

I didn’t know about “steel” stones; but since you mentioned it decided to try it out. Pretty interesting and fun experimenting with it. I only tripped a sensor on the stove once so far.

553F63A4-E561-4114-9EEA-417E7AE40D71.jpeg

B430E2A6-F990-4233-A34F-D49C8C173433.jpeg

Nice!

1 hour ago, rocco said:

i had that problem too, but here's what works for me. when you first flatten your ball and its around 4 or 5 inches in diameter but uniform thickness right before you really start stretching it, flatten the edges first. i go around the whole outside of it with my thumb or the part of my palm by my thumb and flatten the outside inch or so. you end up with it thick on the inside and much flatter on the outside. now go ahead and stretch like normal. next time i do it, i'll try to take a pic. 

Pics please.

The manufacturer of the steel recommended second slot from the top and that's where i'm at. i'd go up if i wasn't worried about rising into heat element. Positioning of the steel front to the back of the stove to maintain clearance and airflow has proven important. I happen to like the bottom a bit scorched but i have been able to go lighter too