micros

Ultra Light Surf Fishing Rigs

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking to get my feet wet with some surf fishing next year.

Shooting for a nice ultralight multispecies shore rig for the Massachusetts Coast, Deer Island, Nantasket Beach and Castle Island come to mind.

Not trying to get any lunkers, just looking to get as many species as possible, maybe take a pan sized guy home on occasion. 

Planning for most fish to be in the .5-2lb range, 3lbs tops.

I already have some 8' ultralight rods that I want to try out in the surf and was wondering if you guys had any good rigs for ultralight surf fishing.

I see hi-lo rigs, and most of them are 1oz at a minimum. I'm curious to as how 1/2oz would do for a hi-lo rig. Would it be too light to keep the line stable?

Aside from that, I'm looking for saltwater rigs that translate well into the ultralight realm- that being 1/4oz-1/2 oz tops.

Any gems that I should know about?

26 mins ago, micros said:

I'm looking for saltwater rigs that translate well into the ultralight realm- that being 1/4oz-1/2 oz tops.

Look at the Japanese Suzuki rods. Shimano Dialuna, Tailwalk Hi-Tide TZ etc...I have 2 models of the Dialuna and they are great for throwing that weight range. The rods are 8'6 and 9'6, and come in at under 5 oz.

You’re going to do a high low for bait I assume, right? I have ultralight outfits I use for my kids and occasionally myself. I tried to go with a high low bait rig in a shallow back bay spot and I still needed a 1oz sinker just to stay put. The rod bent all the way over and had no noticeable movement or change when we hooked a 8” little Black Sea bass. It wasn’t very exciting fur my son that way. 

I would go ultralight but throw floats with bait below below or no float just small artificial or float with a soft plastic suspended below. 

good luck!

3 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Look at the Japanese Suzuki rods. Shimano Dialuna, Tailwalk Hi-Tide TZ etc...I have 2 models of the Dialuna and they are great for throwing that weight range. The rods are 8'6 and 9'6, and come in at under 5 oz.

I got the Shimano 2018 Dialuna MH10-6 that weighs 6oz. I've fished 12hrs straight without breaking a sweat.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Probably good rod for that use would be a steelhead , Salmon or hot shot type rod .

Look at Edge rods they have a good selection of these rods , some priced @ $149.00 in their Delta series for a American  made rod by Gary Loomis !

Okuma SST 902MH, I have the old spheros 4k on it, but you could easily go 3k. 1/2-2 oz, it throws lighter jig heads fine and I throw 4oz with pompano rigs. Just take it easy with heavy weights.

Many hot shot rods have fast tapers however salmon & steelhead rods & blanks made by Edge mod fast tapers they are not noodle or strict UL !

Ive fished this style rod for well over 30 seasons and there isn’t no issue. Casting up to one ounce lures coupled to light lines and landing decent size fish!

Ive personally fish to 30#’s with similar rods they can’t be beat for this application !

The new Edge rods are in a class by themselves and fill this bill nicely !

Ok I will be the one to throw this out.  One of my favorite rods for small catfish (freshwater) is a 9ft Ugly Stik GX2.  it's rated for 4-20lb line and up to a 3/4oz bait.  For the past six years it has mostly tossed a high low rig with one oz of lead. It's been used to catch bait on the pier, Yes it's sensitive enough to detect the bite from a 1.5" fish.  It's been use to land a 8lb black drum.  It's great on whiting and with it's length it works great with a sabiki bait rig. For a $40 rod it's done all I have asked of it. I have pushed it hard and forgot to rinse it after a day in the salt but it's an ugly stik that lives up to it's name and just keeps on fishing.

Now for the suggestion of a rig.  What I use on the GX2 is the Mortician rig.  It's light weight (only a swivel and hooks are metal) and it does a great job of keeping it's self tangle free.  The main part of the rig is a heavy mono (I use 50lb )  that has a series of figure eight knots in pairs  down to the weight.  In between the figure eight knots lighter line (4-30lb) is attached with a cat's paw.  This is important to make the rig work correctly.  The light line cat's pawed to the main line allow it swivel around the main line and keeps it from getting snarled into a mess.  On the end of the light line is circle hook attached with a knotless knot.  The circle hook is also important so you don't need a stiff rod for setting the hook, let the fish do the work.  This is the rig I use in the surf for whiting, small blue fish and pampano.  depending on current  and the amount of lead being used it works with one to three hooks.  I have used this with 1/2oz if the current is low enough.

Doesitgobang

For ultra light surf, I use the salmon/steelhead rods, Cabelas Fish Eagle brand to be exact. Higher end brands are probably better, I'm just cheap. Regrdless,  I would recommend ones rated for heavier weights, 1 1/2-2 oz. Lighter rated are soft and will really move around with the wave action.Reels are penn 712's or 3500-4500 size spooled with 15 or 20lb braid direct to snap swivel. 

I will fish small 1/4- 1 oz metals or bucktails, freshwater rapalas, and self tied "kingfish rigs" with 4-10 lb mono and #4 or #6 light circle hooks.

Especially when baitfishing, I get lots more bites and hookups with the lighter outfits. Keep in mind that big fish will bite and get hooked on ultralight gear. In addition to being less visible, the lighter mono leader allows the big fish to break off without trailing yards of braid behind them. It is amazing how large of fish you can land on ultralight, but you will hook fish that just decide to swim away, despite your best effort or skill. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:50 AM, Capt. Lou said:

Many hot shot rods have fast tapers however salmon & steelhead rods & blanks made by Edge mod fast tapers they are not noodle or strict UL !

Ive fished this style rod for well over 30 seasons and there isn’t no issue. Casting up to one ounce lures coupled to light lines and landing decent size fish!

Ive personally fish to 30#’s with similar rods they can’t be beat for this application !

The new Edge rods are in a class by themselves and fill this bill nicely !

Cap, 

I use salmon rods also. Where can I find these rods?  I'm looking to replace a  Cabalas 8 1/2 foot salmon casting rod that handled 3/8 ounce to 3/4 ounce. It worked well, but I snapped the tip too far down and lost the action I require to bounce a Hopkins shorty. Thanks Paul

On 11/9/2018 at 4:12 PM, Capt. Lou said:

Probably good rod for that use would be a steelhead , Salmon or hot shot type rod .

Look at Edge rods they have a good selection of these rods , some priced @ $149.00 in their Delta series for a American  made rod by Gary Loomis !

I used to use SS rods. From noodles to rods rated to an oune.

The suzuki rods have tapers that really work well for tossing lures where most salmon steelhead rods are designed for protecting leaders.

I've enjoyed throwing salmon steelhead in the spring for stripers.  But after moving to some of the japanese market rods.  There really isn't any going back.

I haven't seen the new edge ones but have owned a bunch of loomis croix and bass pro shops 8'6 to 10' SS rods.   Every one pretty much loads up the same.

Those dialunas are really nice.  Super light weight.  Easy to load.  And with half an ounce to 3/4 they don't collapse on a cast.  And the faster action really is nice for working smaller baits.

Make sure to use sharp hooks and try to avoid hooks with large profile barbs because with all rods of that power it can be tough to drive home a stout hook.