AlwaysWading

Party Boat fishing

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Kml said:

There is no such line when boarding a boat. depends on the boat He did get there early and marked his turf and went to get his other stuff. In this case breakfast, so what. 

If he went back to his car to get his cooler or something that he couldn’t get down on the first trip it is ok to move his stuff?

What if he was sitting down inside the cabin resting because he got there early to stake out a spot. If he is not there guarding his spot it is BS and it is open for the taking? The guy who did that to me had better be yuge or we'll be having "words" at close range

Think about it. That is the BS part. 

15 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Sorry Tim but that's BS in this situation. Just man your post and leave his rig alone. If he can't hold his "place" he takes his chances. He will undoubtedly be pissed but If I go through the effort to be there early to get a good spot then I get the spot. He could have too. He and his buddy could take turns.  :howdy:

There must be some miscommunication between us - didn’t you day the other guy got there before you? Didn’t he ‘get the spot’ first? Sounds like you got there late, not him :read:

19 mins ago, TimS said:

There must be some miscommunication between us - didn’t you day the other guy got there before you? Didn’t he ‘get the spot’ first? Sounds like you got there late, not him :read:

we talking wreck fishing that you want a certain "spot" on the rail? every boat is different

I've fished one boat many times for blackfish the captain would always tell me "A**holes levitate to the stern" if any part of my boat is on the wreck it's right below my wheelhouse

I'm not trying to be a dick but when you step out of line you loose your place that's all. I was told once by a mate that one of the crew will put a rod and towel in the proper spot "knowing" the sport is coming. Just rubs me wrong that's all. He needs to man his post that's all.

4 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

I'm not trying to be a dick but when you step out of line you loose your place that's all. I was told once by a mate that one of the crew will put a rod and towel in the proper spot "knowing" the sport is coming. Just rubs me wrong that's all. He needs to man his post that's all.

I'm not suspecting that you are trying to be a dick and apologize if my response made you feel that I did :howdy:  It's a conversation :)

The "step out of line" thing on a partyboat is absurd. So when you go to the back to get more bait, you can expect to lose your 'spot'? How bout hitting the head? Or re-rigging in the cabin? Up in the wheelhouse? Eating lunch?  Someone touches your private property without your permission because he wants to fish in the spot you chose - that's an initiation of force :wave:

You wrote: "If I go through the effort to be there early to get a good spot then I get the spot. He could have too."

That's the part to which I primarily objected - you are talking about moving someone's gear that got there "early" - earlier than you to be clear - how could he have gotten there after you and put his gear in a spot you wanted to fish?  See what I'm gettin' at? :)

TimS

3 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

While the boat is fishing, fine. I still wouldn’t touch anyone else’s stuff, but if there is an unused rod in a good spot on the boat, I’d understand wanting to drop a line in there. But if you move someone else’s rod while the boat is not fishing,  you’re a dick, simple as that. The idea that you should be manning your rod the entire time instead of grabbing a bite to eat, using the head, taking a nap, etc while the boat isn’t fishing is lunacy.

I swore off local party boats a few years ago. Occasionally, I’ll go on one in areas foreign to me if the boat has a good reputation...most don’t.

17 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I swore off local party boats a few years ago. Occasionally, I’ll go on one in areas foreign to me if the boat has a good reputation...most don’t.

It's pretty rare for me to get on a party boat any more...when I do it's to hang with some people from the site that I otherwise don't see very often :) 

TimS

after 40 years of pb fishing I have learned to only go on limited load/marathon trips where the boat actually takes a limited load or charter the boat. Go with friends and take over the bow :) 

In the past 3 years I've had really good experiences on the Yankee Fleet trips and the little Yellowbird (Hampton, NH). My favorite pb trips are multi day Viking Fleet trips. Friends private charter and we go offshore for 4 or 5 days. I am going on one the last week of June with a former world record holder if the weather permits looking for the next world record. 

On 1/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, blacklabnh said:

after 40 years of pb fishing I have learned to only go on limited load/marathon trips where the boat actually takes a limited load or charter the boat. Go with friends and take over the bow :) 

In the past 3 years I've had really good experiences on the Yankee Fleet trips and the little Yellowbird (Hampton, NH). My favorite pb trips are multi day Viking Fleet trips. Friends private charter and we go offshore for 4 or 5 days. I am going on one the last week of June with a former world record holder if the weather permits looking for the next world record. 

Viking does do some very cool trips, I would love to go on a tile trip but $500-1000 to share a boat with 20+ other people is a lot of money. 

I like party boat fishing.  There have been loads of trips where I have shared 80' of boat with 10-12 guys.  If you go on Saturday or Sunday or during a holiday week, you get what you deserve.

13 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Viking does do some very cool trips, I would love to go on a tile trip but $500-1000 to share a boat with 20+ other people is a lot of money. 

I think the price is very fair, This trip is just under $1000 for 5 days and while sharing a boat it's one of the biggest boats on the east coast. Any offshore charter is 200 a day but the day isn't 24 hours and you aint goin to the Oceanographer or Lydonia. 

45 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

I think the price is very fair, This trip is just under $1000 for 5 days and while sharing a boat it's one of the biggest boats on the east coast. Any offshore charter is 200 a day but the day isn't 24 hours and you aint goin to the Oceanographer or Lydonia. 

I guess that’s true, at that point it’s a voyage and a fishing trip lol. From what I see, their 3 day trips are $1200. Also, it looks like they include very little besides bait and a ride in the base price. For the price of a deep-drop setup, rigs and food I’d personally rather head down south.

A lot more is included including great mates like Steve Ho. My friends I do these trips with don't need gear, rigs or anything other than a good mate for gaffing which isn't a problem. Food is included but people bring plenty of food to share. You either become family or don't get invited back as these are private charters. 

We may go south and fish along the way. This trip has gone south in years past. But remember that the Oceanographer and Lyndonia have no commercial fishing for now at least. I've fished the Baltimore and Wilmington to death out of Cape May. I haven't gone past the Oceanographer yet I'd love to fish those last Canyons before the Canadian line. I am sure Steve Sr will be in touch with Jeff on the Voyager as they are good friends and decide which way to go. 

4 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

Hard to call it a party boat at that point, it's a charter...just on a really big charter boat :th:

TimS

On 11/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, mets41 said:

Stopped the party boat scene 27 years ago, was a regular on boat in Pt Pleasant. would get to boat 5am, probably 1st one on boat from after the night trip. Put my boat pole in bow corner for my spot, go get breakfast and come back to find my pole moved far towards front. asked the person that was in my spot and he said "you don't own this spot" and wanted to fight ( he had too much to drink with his friends) I walked away and told the captain. Captain shrugged his shoulders and said "what do you want me to do?" Was not worth the aggravation. Got more focused to Beach for Stripers and blues. Have much more relaxing time over these past 27 years!! Even when i don't catch anything, have my cigar and relax!! Too many idiots on those party boats!!!

Am I the only one who noticed but what the hell is the "bow corner"?  Maybe one of the "stern corners"?  How about PORT and Starboard?  Where were you?  :p:worms: