AlwaysWading

Party Boat fishing

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Fished out of Belmar yesterday ,with 150 other guys crammed on a party boat, it was a cluster EFF. There was One Bass caught all day on a live lined bunker that was it,on the whole boat. It makes me laugh though seeing some of the gear and techniques that some people use. A guy next to me had a rod from the probably the 60's a guide popped off while reeling in a Bunker. LOL 

The guy on the other side was using fried chicken on a ava jig and dipped it in Mayo before every cast:laugh:

chicken.jpg

mayo.jpg

Stopped the party boat scene 27 years ago, was a regular on boat in Pt Pleasant. would get to boat 5am, probably 1st one on boat from after the night trip. Put my boat pole in bow corner for my spot, go get breakfast and come back to find my pole moved far towards front. asked the person that was in my spot and he said "you don't own this spot" and wanted to fight ( he had too much to drink with his friends) I walked away and told the captain. Captain shrugged his shoulders and said "what do you want me to do?" Was not worth the aggravation. Got more focused to Beach for Stripers and blues. Have much more relaxing time over these past 27 years!! Even when i don't catch anything, have my cigar and relax!! Too many idiots on those party boats!!!

18 mins ago, mets41 said:

Stopped the party boat scene 27 years ago, was a regular on boat in Pt Pleasant. would get to boat 5am, probably 1st one on boat from after the night trip. Put my boat pole in bow corner for my spot, go get breakfast and come back to find my pole moved far towards front. asked the person that was in my spot and he said "you don't own this spot" and wanted to fight ( he had too much to drink with his friends) I walked away and told the captain. Captain shrugged his shoulders and said "what do you want me to do?" Was not worth the aggravation. Got more focused to Beach for Stripers and blues. Have much more relaxing time over these past 27 years!! Even when i don't catch anything, have my cigar and relax!! Too many idiots on those party boats!!!

Party boat fishing can suck, I've had some bad experiences, it's really the reason I bought my own boat, however the Blue fishing down here has waned in recent years so I took the ride up north .There have been some big Blues up there lately but they moved on it seems.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, mets41 said:

Sorry but if you get out of “line “ you lose your place . 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, mets41 said:

I would have touched that Cigar to that guys line while reeling up . Every Time 

On 11/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, Stonesipher said:

Sorry but if you get out of “line “ you lose your place . 

That is over ridden by the universal "don't touch someone else's property...ever...under any circumstances" :idea:

Yes they can be a waste of time and money and a night mare.

If you don't own a boat, like my friends and I, there's always charters. Just a bunch more money.

On the other hand, some party boats & some specific trips are better than others. They run limited load trips and have a base of  regulars who generaly know how to fish.

Personally I like the Voyager's off shore bottom fishing trips. Their limited load isn't all that limited, but it's a big boat and the crew and customers are good about it & it works. They also catch fish.

While I don't have 1st hand expereince, I've heard good things about the Helen H.

YMMV. My .02.

Ive been on good ones, never a real bad one.  November for strips, not that one.  

Later season blackfish/seabass been good to me.  

Sometimes a summer night fishing.  If the shore bite is good, I pass......

If you want quality blackfish, black sea bass, good fluke, cod (OK, a hypothetical) or tuna, there is no shore-fishing option. The depth at which bass will move up and down the coast, especially in the fall, is anybody's guess, and if they're in 30-40' of water, they might as well be on the dark side of the Moon, for surfcasting purposes. So, it's a boat or nuthin'. If you want tuna, tilefish or a shot at wreckfish or barrelfish, it's got to be a decent hull unless you really, really love risk. 

Tred barta used to go waaaay out in a small CC. I must google him, see if he's still alive after that horrible illness.

He may be.  I don't know the man, but he was certainly hyperactive and an interesting angler. For someone that active to be reduced by an obscure illness to a wheelchair, well, that's hard.

He did a review of an albemarle boat in a magazine, I forget which one, just before the last NY Boat Show that I attended. The review indicated that he'd flooded the boat in very heavy seas, and praised the size of the scuppers & doors (?) because it allowed him to drain the cockpit efficiently.  I stopped by the Albemarle exhibit (nice boats, I wouldn't mind one as a stocking stuffer) and remarked on the review to the two guys who were running it. They fell over in hysterics; they'd been out with Tred the day after the incident, and he did it again.  They both swore that they'd never get on a boat with him again. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:54 AM, TimS said:

That is over ridden by the universal "don't touch someone else's property...ever...under any circumstances" :idea:

Sorry Tim but that's BS in this situation. Just man your post and leave his rig alone. If he can't hold his "place" he takes his chances. He will undoubtedly be pissed but If I go through the effort to be there early to get a good spot then I get the spot. He could have too. He and his buddy could take turns.  :howdy:

There is no such line when boarding a boat. He did get there early and marked his turf and went to get his other stuff. In this case breakfast, so what. 

If he went back to his car to get his cooler or something that he couldn’t get down on the first trip it is ok to move his stuff?

What if he was sitting down inside the cabin resting because he got there early to stake out a spot. If he is not there guarding his spot it is BS and it is open for the taking?

Think about it. That is the BS part.