Winter Striper fishing

Rate this topic

juang123

1 hour ago, striperswiper06437 said:

My initial though process would be to shut it down completely, don't even allow people to target them.  What do people think about that?

If that was not a viable option, a closure on keeping fish would only benefit the holdover population.   Again, what do people think about that? 

You should probably ask this in the NY forum. The few times I've gone in the winter the NY plates outnumbered CT 3 to 1!

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.....

22 hours ago, nateD said:

So if I'm out blackfishing a week before it opens just for some catch and release is that legal, always felt like I would get called out on it if stopped by a warden.

Yes it is legal but FYI Tog fishing is open most of the year in CT.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

22 hours ago, striperswiper06437 said:

My initial though process would be to shut it down completely, don't even allow people to target them.  What do people think about that?

It would be impossible to enforce.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

49 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Yes it is legal but FYI Tog fishing is open most of the year in CT.

Thanks, ya I’m aware. They start moving up to my spots once the summer season closes, I fish in a kayak.

Edited by nateD

On 11/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, striperswiper06437 said:

What would people on this forum think about a striped bass season closure; lets say Dec 1st - March 31st each year? 

Yes. I think this is a great idea to start with.  Considering the state of the fishery let them be....and even extend it into april or may.

This season was pretty bad.

Please folks... a wise friend got me into fishing freshwater over the winter. Target the artifical and stocked fisheries not the wild.

Or pick up plug building...or rod building.

I promise you..when spring rolls around...the sweeter the first fish will be...especially if caught in the ocean instead of some tainted river.

What would people on this forum think about a striped bass season closure; lets say Dec 1st - March 31st each year? 

Yes. I think this is a great idea to start with.  Considering the state of the fishery let them be....and even extend it into april or may.

Please folks... a wise friend got me into fishing freshwater over the winter. Target the artifical and stocked fisheries not the wild.

I promise you..when spring rolls around...the sweeter the first fish will be...especially if caught in the ocean instead of some tainted river.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:49 AM, juang123 said:

Hello! I've got a few questions about fishing for striped bass during the winter months, as I REALLY don't wanna be playing video games indoors and would rather be catching fish! So here are my questions; Where do you fish for them? What lures to throw? What tactics should I use to find some fish (Doesn't matter if its big or small I'm just trying to get some fish!) And also I live in the Fairfield Area. Any information is very appreciated!!!

Tight lines!

PM me if you want some help.  I lived 2 mins down the road from a very popular river for hold overs.  I don’t like pounding these fish over the winter BUT you can get some big fish over the winter months under the right conditions. Think it’s fine to do every now and then.   Happy to help.

id be cool shutting it down Jan 1- March 1.  After that it’s game on.  Lots of good fish caught at night , early in the season.

I think some kinda closure would be good idea, but would be VERY unpopular with some of the "locals".  and the out of state guys who come looking for something to catch in the middle of winter.   and would possibly reduce the poaching that goes on every winter.....  

but to the OP-   DO NOT get caught up in the blog of the local hotshot who likes to tell the entire internet about 100's of fish "hooked" per trip.  his method of counting is suspect (at best) and I'm still baffled by who would keep fishing over lethargic, dinky fish anyway.........?

its all about da fishes...

1 hour ago, nateD said:

What’s the catch and release mortality rate, 8%? So for 1000 fish he potentially killed 80 of them.

How do you know that 8 % is actually what happens ?  Using a swimbait w/ a single 3/0 hook maybe one in every 1000 might get deep hooked from my fishing 50 + years of the Striper Surf , the accused is pretty good at what he does . The characters on the meat hook might be well higher than your 8% if they ever go back in the river after the catch .      

If it has fins i want to catch it 

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

How do you know that 8 % is actually what happens ?  Using a swimbait w/ a single 3/0 hook maybe one in every 1000 might get deep hooked from my fishing 50 + years of the Striper Surf , the accused is pretty good at what he does . The characters on the meat hook might be well higher than your 8% if they ever go back in the river after the catch .      

I don’t know for sure, did you see my question mark?