prican1

Rad power bikes

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Been seeing these electric bikes more often on the Southshore of L.I., pricey but convenient. I've had a fishing bike for many years, some seasons I don't need to use it because the fish stick around within walking distance of most areas I fish. Planning on getting one but would like to hear the pro's & cons from owners in the community. They run $1600 -$1900 , any other companies make something similar for less...

Saw one the other day, it was a three wheeler with the full sized basket behind the seat. He was zipping along and I thought it would be good for fishing. Then I remember many years ago when we had one for shopping during the congested summer season. We have a smaller garage and it was always in the way and we sold the bike. With the two wheeler it may be an issue with weight distribution depending on what you take  with you and if you keep your fish. All that aside if your handy they sell kits to convert your own bike to electric. Lots of youtube video on the installation.

I saw a guy a few weeks back and we got talking. I walk no need for bike but the thing was nice. Very important don’t get it wet. Don’t hose down don’t get internals wet. He was using a fine brush to get sand off before packing up. Told me his buddy was washing his off with fresh water and all he’s had is problems with his.  So what I took out of the conversation is cool bike very convenient but no water no rain make sure because it’s going to cost you a lot for repairs. Good luck 

E-bikes are not all built the same. The e-bikes from Trek and Specialized are all sealed. I ride with a guy who has one and we regularly do water crossings and ride in the snow. They start at like $4K and go up to $12K so you get what you pay for but the technology is solid.

Also keep in mind that many state parks are evaluating the use of e-bikes as motorized vehicles so in some cases they will be banned where trail erosion is a concern (just like dirt bikes). Other state parks/beaches that allow them may start requiring a sticker as with any other motorized vehicle.

I pedal my fat bike on the beach now but someday when I'm older would appreciate the e-boost.