Plugger207

Daiwa rods?

11 posts in this topic

Been thinking of picking up either a proteus northeast or the New Daiwa back bay spinning.....looking for any input here.  Noticed the proteus is 50 dollars higher and I can’t really find a difference? Been a St. Croix guy for a longtime....but I like mixing it up.  

I have the 8 foot proteus spinner.....awesome action for boat striper plugging. and lots of other stuff

My friend has the back bay and loves it but he's a fluker and I'm not.  He's pretty fanatical about his stuff so if he likes it I assume it's good.  But he thinks every rod is a fluke stick :)   He won the raritan bay fluke tournament a few years ago for like 3 grand....which sucks...because now he's got some clout lmao.  He's pretty crazy about them things :)

Gotta admit....daiwa has been tickling my fancy with all the rods i've purchased from them.

From Steez ags and xt rods to most recently a tatula elite ags and some ballitic surf rods.

I get em cheap as I'm a member of their vip program....But money is tight on my end and buying gear to shill isn't why I spend $$ on gear like that stuff.  Sight unseen buying..hoping for the action I'm hoping for is like throwing a dart....The 8 rods i bought over the past 2 years have been bullseyes...

I picked up a Daiwa HR802HFS Harrier Inshore in the spring and quickly became my favorite rod. Lightweight, yet handled throwing 1-2oz plugs with no problems. I paid just over $100. but can find them now for $75. Definitely asking Santa for another one. Happy shopping.

I’ve been looking at the Proteus and Backbay on Daiwas site for months,,only trouble is no one stocks them around my neck of the woods. I won’t order something I haven’t handled.its a shame cause I am sure they are nice sticks,,Daiwa makes some great stuff.

15 hours ago, cashews121 said:

I’ve been looking at the Proteus and Backbay on Daiwas site for months,,only trouble is no one stocks them around my neck of the woods. I won’t order something I haven’t handled.its a shame cause I am sure they are nice sticks,,Daiwa makes some great stuff.

I’m right there with ya.  I’ve been eyeing them daily on tackle direct.  No one up my way carries them....not even Cabelas.  I know Daiwa has been doing some great things. I want to pull the trigger probably just do it at that price point.  Do a ton of light tackle back bay/surf stuff for bass upta Maine.  Really value a rod with a good backbone and solid range....sucker for the St. Croix avids but never enough toys.  I’ll throw a review in late May next year when there back!  Thanks for the input y’all.

Have 3 proteus rods. The 8ft is an awesome rod like Scooby said, I use it from plugging to jigging to snagging and it does it all very well. Also have the 7 ft medium light which I bought for a lighter striper rod, like that one a lot too, just not so much as a fluke rod. The tip on that one is a bit too fast for my taste for bucktailing but as a bass rod it’s great. I’ve caught some decent bass on that light rod and it handled them well

44 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

I’m right there with ya.  I’ve been eyeing them daily on tackle direct.  No one up my way carries them....not even Cabelas.  I know Daiwa has been doing some great things. I want to pull the trigger probably just do it at that price point.  Do a ton of light tackle back bay/surf stuff for bass upta Maine.  Really value a rod with a good backbone and solid range....sucker for the St. Croix avids but never enough toys.  I’ll throw a review in late May next year when there back!  Thanks for the input y’all.

Daiwa has been doing great things for a very long time. I am still using my Light & Tough Rods for freshwater Bass fishing..the reel seat design was like no other..never felt anything like it,,sold all my other rods after trying it out. Matched with the old flagship TDZ 103ML its awesome.

I have the Proteus 8' (40-80 braid) spinner. Been catching schoolie yellowfin and skipjack  out of San Diego with it since August. Good rod.

It does have a smallish reel seat that will not fit a Penn Battle II 6500. Same with two Daiwa Ardito rods I have. So check for fit on your reel, before you pay the man

2 hours ago, DennisV said:

I have the Proteus 8' (40-80 braid) spinner. Been catching schoolie yellowfin and skipjack  out of San Diego with it since August. Good rod.

It does have a smallish reel seat that will not fit a Penn Battle II 6500. Same with two Daiwa Ardito rods I have. So check for fit on your reel, before you pay the man

The cork handle one?  rated 1-4? or another....That rod must be a blast on schoolies.........I thought about bringing it offshore but shelved it because I didn't think it could take big drag pressure if I hooked a 55"+

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

The cork handle one?  rated 1-4? or another....That rod must be a blast on schoolies.........I thought about bringing it offshore but shelved it because I didn't think it could take big drag pressure if I hooked a 55"+

PRIN80XHFS   cork 3/4-5 oz 

Handles 12lb of drag no sweat. Probably 15lb if needed but have not gone there.