Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lisurfer49

Utility Lights

4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I hate light bars on the beach just as much as anyone also so please don't flame me. Hopefully these are not in the same realm and I do not plan on using them EVER on the beach.

I purchased a few Buyers LED 4" work lights to mount to my lumber/ladder rack. I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook them up. Ideally I would like to set them up with their own switch. However, I thought it'd be even easier to just tap into the cargo light/brake light on back of the cab, which already has its own switch. This light does turn on when you open the door, so I assume this would turn on these utility lights as well. So for this method I was wondering if a.) is this possible and b.) will they be a significant drain on the battery when truck engine is off.

But if I were to set up a separate switch, how would I go about that?

Truck is an '06 Tundra and the lights are Buyers LED 4". 12-24V, 1050lm, IP67, 20G.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Typical new battery has a 90 minute reserve capacity on 20amp draw.

Small Flood LEDS Are Around 25 watts each.  Engine off, no draw, full charge is 13.8volts.  12 volts even is about 25 percent left.  2 25 watts is about 4 amps.   Battery will be half dead in 3 hours 45 min or so.  If it's half charged. 

10 watt red led like a rear fog lamp or trailer tail light is a better idea.  Take light apart, drill hole in back for switch.....

Edited by salt deficient

Should specify that I would prefer the switch in the cab. But it sounds like it shouldn’t be too much of an issue on battery.

is it possible to make it so they don’t automatically turn on when opening doors?