dal929

Fishing the Hackensack on kayak

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

 I've recently picked up a pedal fishing kayak and want to see if I can get some fishing in the Hackensack. I've fished the river and know what I want to try, I am more concerned with the saftey aspect of being a kayak newbie on a swift flowing river and believe in saftey in numbers. I plan to go this saturday 1 hr before the top of the high so I fish the tidal change and the current is weaker. If anyone has a kayak and is interested in joining or learning this with me message me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi, and welcome to the tribe! I've tried the Hack with little success a few times when I knew less than I do now. The current isn't bad if you know how to keep out of it and work the river features. That said, a big part of the kayak game is picking your days, and Saturday isn't one of them! The forecast at 10am high tide is 20 gusting to 30 and 42 degrees. I recommend you delay and go Sunday or Monday. 

 

There's several weather apps we use, I like WindAlert. The phone app has the most accurate model for our area, WF-WRF 2km, available for free. also, in the wacky system of tidal rivers we live on, the change of current is often hours later than the actual high tide. It looks like the current changes 1.5 hrs after high there.  A fantastic tool for exploring our area is a free navigation desktop app, OpenCPN. You can download free ENC charts from NOAA into it, and they have live tide and current readouts for spots all over the area.

Edited by gellfex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hacky needs to be cold waters outside then they will like in inside big fish , I don't fish the foot canoe , I only know the shoreline spots ...sorry no help ya 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This app that app computers .....Put the thing in the water & fish . Windy ? Find a place out of the wind , tide ain’t “right”? Hang around a while , it’ll change , been doin that for a few years now . It’s great to use all available tools , however , there’s no substitute for actually doing it . Live & learn  Bill J (crabby Ol dude )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hacky, in spots, has like 5' of dioxin-enriched muck on the bottom. You end up in that, they will need to use a crane to get you out. And be quick, as it will suck you in more and more, like a swamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've fished the Hackensack a number of times.  The current is very manageable with a Hobie. Sunday afternoon or Monday should be quick pleasant there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

This app that app computers .....Put the thing in the water & fish . Windy ? Find a place out of the wind , tide ain’t “right”? Hang around a while , it’ll change , been doin that for a few years now . It’s great to use all available tools , however , there’s no substitute for actually doing it . Live & learn  Bill J (crabby Ol dude )

 

Have another couple beers.  You'll b fine diving home.

 

Condom?  Grow up.  Just have some vitamin C and Echinacea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t had a drink in 20 yrs. I’m not advocating putting yourself in a risky situation , although that doesn’t seem to stop quite a few folks sitting on a 40 lb. piece of floating plastic. It would be helpful if you could compose a concise , literate sentence. I seem to have touched a nerve , based on the hostile response . Close to 15,000 posts.... Little too much screen time for me.I don’t hold it against you , I’d rather spend time actually doing the things I enjoy outdoors than texting about it . It’s all good , stay safe Bill J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I decided not to get on the water instead fished my usual spots and picked a couple but the wind was pretty strong and the water a mess although that didn't stop someone on a duck boat out there, I'll try the yak tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, dal929 said:

 I decided not to get on the water instead fished my usual spots and picked a couple but the wind was pretty strong and the water a mess although that didn't stop someone on a duck boat out there, I'll try the yak tomorrow.

So did you end up going out? How’d you make out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2018 at 1:35 PM, dal929 said:

Hello,

 I've recently picked up a pedal fishing kayak and want to see if I can get some fishing in the Hackensack. I've fished the river and know what I want to try, I am more concerned with the saftey aspect of being a kayak newbie on a swift flowing river and believe in saftey in numbers. I plan to go this saturday 1 hr before the top of the high so I fish the tidal change and the current is weaker. If anyone has a kayak and is interested in joining or learning this with me message me.

The Hackensack has strong moving tides in some areas and there are a number of dangerous variables such as tide and the muck that will suck you in if you try and step out of your kayak to land your kayak to shore.  It does hold fish but be careful.  

 

Do you have a dry suit and a radio? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did go out Sunday to give this pedal Kayak a first try. I do not have a dry suit yet but am being advised by some fellow SOL members on options. I do have a radio. My initial reaction to this type of kayak is the high center of gravity was a bit concerning vs the sit inside versions, the river is quite large and daunting when sitting in a plastic tub, In short, I was concerned trying this alone so I took a few laps around barge park area to get accustomed to the platform and called it quits. I didn't  actually try to fish from the yak itself instead returned to fish my regular spots by land. I will continue to get familiar with this whole process, get the right gear and if possible hook up with others. I appreciate all the advice, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dal929 said:

I did go out Sunday to give this pedal Kayak a first try. I do not have a dry suit yet but am being advised by some fellow SOL members on options. I do have a radio. My initial reaction to this type of kayak is the high center of gravity was a bit concerning vs the sit inside versions, the river is quite large and daunting when sitting in a plastic tub, In short, I was concerned trying this alone so I took a few laps around barge park area to get accustomed to the platform and called it quits. I didn't  actually try to fish from the yak itself instead returned to fish my regular spots by land. I will continue to get familiar with this whole process, get the right gear and if possible hook up with others. I appreciate all the advice, thank you.

The BARGE!! One of my local hangout spots when I was a teen a few years back. They’ve been closing it off at night as of recent. You for sure should look into getting a dry suit with the cold temps rolling around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.