baldwin

Attack on our Fisheries

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Ok, I'll explain a few things now, and more at a later time. First, I understand that there's a political forum on the site, but did decide to post it here. My reason was that this is a serious development that will affect the fishing for all of us. And a small percentage of viewers here would be aware of this through that forum. We need exposure to numbers, and wide participation,  to keep our fisheries viable. Remember back to the striped bass situation in the early 80s. 

Second: We can't split the charter industry and individual recreational anglers and win this. We've got the same problem: If the fishery is crashed, we all lose. I attended a workshop a few weeks ago in Rhode Island on supporting the Magnuson-Stevens Act. Most of the attendees (and the ones who organized it) were guides and charter captains. Let's all work together.

Third: two of the biggest threats have been mentioned above. Liberalizing the types of "data" used in managing the fisheries to include anecdotal stories by individuals and giving it the same level of credibility as scientific data is very dangerous policy. So is the discontinuation of holding our fisheries managers to timelines (with deadlines) for rebuilding stocks allows them to indefinitely claim that they are "working on it". 

I'll provide more detail in the near future.