scoobydoo

PURE FISHING / PENN FISHING SOLD

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Tagman said:

Yeah, I agree also.

Penn is one of the most recognized names in the fishing industry. Probably one of the most recognized fishing industry brands in the world !!!

How did that work out for Toys R Us, RadioShack, Gander Mountain, Payless Shoes, and Vitamin World? 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, Lord Helmet said:

How did that work out for Toys R Us, RadioShack, Gander Mountain, Payless Shoes, and Vitamin World? 

I see your point to a certain extent. Those were strong brands that failed - but those were brands of retail stores where the cost of brick & mortar is crippling compared with online retailers. 

Penn is a brand of products. The Penn brand can be legitimately applied via U.S. R&D for products ultimately still made in SE Asia but with brains and maintenance services from the US. I think that’s the best case scenario and that this model is responsible for the small number successful products that they still make today. 

Unlike retail store brands, “Penn” can be illegitimately slapped on some crap from Alibaba and sold for more than if the name wasn’t on there. Some of this probably exists today at their lowest end but it could get worse. That could be Penn’s entire business model. Abandon everything about US R&D, US maintenance services, listening to feedback and tweaking designs, etc. Penn could just produce products at an even cheaper cost with yet more profits and that might fit the private equity firm’s intentions much better. But if so, no serious angler will want to buy the gear anymore. 

Lionel Trains is probably a  better example that Toys r US. There have been periods when Lionel has put out crap (just like Penn) but eventually good ownership saves the name by selling quality products again.