PURE FISHING / PENN FISHING SOLD

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Just now, crazybellringer said:

I bet tony gets a big raise

Honestly I truly hope so.

I hope all involved receive raises and 20 year contracts

mybosox3 likes this

Exactly! And guaranteed consolidation of product lines and brands. Generally will relaunch the brand/ model creating the best path to profitability. Always customer service is in the mix for consolidation and change. I always said “hold tight.”

32 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Honestly I truly hope so.

I hope all involved receive raises and 20 year contracts

You know's even better?  Employee discount at Staples and Hot Topic!   Oh yeah...

I didn't post anything here, because I like the guys on Hunting Park Avenue, but Newell has been trying to unload Pure fishing, and the related brands (Berkley, Penn, Abu, etc.) for a while. I read something about it a few months ago, either in The Wall Street Journal or on the back of a box of Froot Loops. The desire to unload Pure evidently stemmed from another merger, this one the acquisition of Jarden, Penn/Pure's former corporate overload, by Newell Brands. I think I need a scorecard to keep track of this Corporate Bingo.

We're going to have to see where this goes for Penn, but until I see evidence otherwise, I'll remain optimistic, about the future of both the Penn brand and the factory in Philly. Pure Fishing appears to have been bought by a private equity firm, and that could end up being a very good thing, both for the company and for anglers (it could also end up being a very bad thing, but I'm going to hope for the best).

jeffapeikin likes this

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Could be good or bad , alot of these buy out shut down division that they buy , or find cheaper alturnatives to making the same product ata cheaper cost!

Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus. How many firearm brands did that roll up kill or diminish? 

24 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

I hope they all get raises and contracts too, but companies that just paid a bunch of money to buy product lines don't typically hand out cash, unfortunately.

Yeah that was wishfull thinking for sure.   I've survived a few mergers and acquisitions......never fun.  And with new heads looking down with bold ideas........cuts tend to be swift and deep.

4 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus. How many firearm brands did that roll up kill or diminish? 

Nice point.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gritting my teeth on this one. I don’t see clear alignment between Sycamore’s current portfolio and Pure Fishing. I might have overlooked something but I didn’t see any manufacturing, and nothing outdoors oriented. 

I saw lots of apparel, and we know where that’s made.

Edited by Alferd Packer