juang123

Winter Striper Fishing

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

          Hey there! I've got a question about where to fish for striped bass(either big or small, I'm just trying to catch some fish!) in the winter months (December-March) and what to use to catch them (lures,tactics,etc.) I live in Ct. and also if there are some fellow Connecticut fisherman could you give me some recommendations as well? All help is very appreciated!!!

Edited by juang123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t live in Connecticut but start up river and river mouths. You’re not going to get any locations here. Guys that are catching  do not want to share locations it’s not how it goes. Bucktails work for me small rubber and so on. Put in the work and you will find them it’s the best advice I can give you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should post this in the CT forum as many of the guys there fish over the winter for stripers. It's actually pretty easy to find this info....google and YouTube are your friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

You should post this in the CT forum as many of the guys there fish over the winter for stripers. It's actually pretty easy to find this info....google and YouTube are your friends

Forgot about the CT forum, Thanks I think i'll post this there then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the spring summer I’m always on the south beach’s of Long Island and Montauk fishing with lures. I love fishing with lures. Then in the winter months Jan thru May. I’m fishing in the * Hudson River. Difference there is only bloodworms work. No lures there. Also north of the George Washington Bridge law states keeper sizes are as follows, 18 to 28 is keeper. Also only 1 fish per day if your going to keep it. EPA  is always around so be cool and follow the law. I release all my fish unless a fish swallowed the hook and there not going to make it. I will not let it go to waste.  They do that cause the pregnant females are usually over 28 inch’s and those ladies drop about 3500 eggs so you get the picture.  It’s only 5 minutes from were I live so I get to fish almost everyday for a few hours. So if anyone has nothing to do in the cold days of winter and wants to fish. See you at the pier. No lures just bloodworms. You get to drive on the pier and park your car where you fish. You need a permit to park on the pier or park for free out at the lot then walk a mile. Don’t forget to register for your NY state salt water fishing. It’s free. The parking permit is 125 in state and 175 outta state which you can pick up in piermount town police station. Good luck and o yeah. DRESS WARM lol. I never NOT tell people were the fish are. It’s up to you to know how to catchum. No secrets here. Good luck and have fun fishing. :)

112CEE80-E030-4274-B8C7-A374BAF765F6.jpeg

Edited by TimS
Please don't name overly specific locations here - it's against the rules explained in the Guidelines at the top of the page - thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, PoseidonSurf said:

Do you mean closed for fishing? 

It means that you told EVERYBODY an exact location of a productive/good fishing spot (with a picture). That's a "spot burn". Good or bad, that's what is means. Tight lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 9:20 AM, PoseidonSurf said:

Spot burn meaning closed for fishing?

A spot burn is exactly what you done above, and spot burns are generally frowned upon by the members and moderators of this site... it's basically telling someone exactly where and when to fish, your even tossing in a bonus of what to use specifically.. while im sure your intentions are good, the problem is...  your not just burning your own personal spot, your ruining that spot for lots of other people who may enjoy fishing there as well and may now have to deal with shoulder to shoulder crowds looking for great winter action you wrote about... 

And while your intent may be to help this individual catch some fish,  your really not doing them any favors, handed out spots dont teach people to scout areas and learn to read waters and find fish on their own.. a handout is just a handout and it keeps em coming back for more...

 

 

 

And for the gentlemen who noticed this burn before I did, your hands are not tied. You needn't just sit back and watch the burn.. flag the post and let a moderator review it for some potential redaction or removal altogether... 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, juang123 said:

          Hey there! I've got a question about where to fish for striped bass(either big or small, I'm just trying to catch some fish!) in the winter months (December-March) and what to use to catch them (lures,tactics,etc.) I live in Ct. and also if there are some fellow Connecticut fisherman could you give me some recommendations as well? All help is very appreciated!!!

go small with bucktails[3\4 oz] and a curlytail or bombers and stuff like that.

5 inch rubber shads or storm swimbaits.

do your research and you will find places.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jan-Mar in central New Jersey I always used to be able and go off the beach next to the jetties on a NW wind calm nights and catch quite a few small bass on clear bombers. The hard part was the cold NW wind at night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 0:37 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

A spot burn is exactly what you done above, and spot burns are generally frowned upon by the members and moderators of this site... it's basically telling someone exactly where and when to fish, your even tossing in a bonus of what to use specifically.. while im sure your intentions are good, the problem is...  your not just burning your own personal spot, your ruining that spot for lots of other people who may enjoy fishing there as well and may now have to deal with shoulder to shoulder crowds looking for great winter action you wrote about... 

And while your intent may be to help this individual catch some fish,  your really not doing them any favors, handed out spots dont teach people to scout areas and learn to read waters and find fish on their own.. a handout is just a handout and it keeps em coming back for more...

 

 

 

And for the gentlemen who noticed this burn before I did, your hands are not tied. You needn't just sit back and watch the burn.. flag the post and let a moderator review it for some potential redaction or removal altogether... 

Your so right didn’t think in that way. When it comes to fishin I’m always happy to tell others were the fish are. Yes your right and I’m sorry. Plus I figured it was end of season but obvious wrong again so I truly am sorry and that spot burn won’t happen again :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.