juang123

Winter Striper Fishing

9 posts in this topic

Hey there! I've got a question about where to fish for striped bass(either big or small, I'm just trying to catch some fish!) in the winter months (December-March) and what to use to catch them (lures,tactics,etc.) I live in Ct. and also if there are some fellow Connecticut fisherman could you give me some recommendations as well? All help is very appreciated!!!

Edited by juang123

I don’t live in Connecticut but start up river and river mouths. You’re not going to get any locations here. Guys that are catching  do not want to share locations it’s not how it goes. Bucktails work for me small rubber and so on. Put in the work and you will find them it’s the best advice I can give you. 

1 person likes this

IDK what the laws are in ct, but in nj from January to March you can only fish oceanfront for bass. Bays, tributaries, and rivers are closed.

You should post this in the CT forum as many of the guys there fish over the winter for stripers. It's actually pretty easy to find this info....google and YouTube are your friends

16 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

You should post this in the CT forum as many of the guys there fish over the winter for stripers. It's actually pretty easy to find this info....google and YouTube are your friends

Forgot about the CT forum, Thanks I think i'll post this there then

In the spring summer I’m always on the south beach’s of Long Island and Montauk fishing with lures. I love fishing with lures. Then in the winter months Jan thru May. I’m fishing at the pier in Piermount NY Hudson River. Difference there is only bloodworms work. No lures there. Also north of the George Washington Bridge law states keeper sizes are as follows, 18 to 28 is keeper. Also only 1 fish per day if your going to keep it. EPA  is always around so be cool and follow the law. I release all my fish unless a fish swallowed the hook and there not going to make it. I will not let it go to waste.  They do that cause the pregnant females are usually over 28 inch’s and those ladies drop about 3500 eggs so you get the picture.  It’s only 5 minutes from were I live so I get to fish almost everyday for a few hours. So if anyone has nothing to do in the cold days of winter and wants to fish. See you at the pier. No lures just bloodworms. You get to drive on the pier and park your car where you fish. You need a permit to park on the pier or park for free out at the lot then walk a mile. Don’t forget to register for your NY state salt water fishing. It’s free. The parking permit is 125 in state and 175 outta state which you can pick up in piermount town police station. Good luck and o yeah. DRESS WARM lol. I never NOT tell people were the fish are. It’s up to you to know how to catchum. No secrets here. Good luck and have fun fishing. :)

112CEE80-E030-4274-B8C7-A374BAF765F6.jpeg

Edited by PoseidonSurf