Alexey

Magsealed Daiwa reesl in sand — do they hold up

13 posts in this topic

Is anyone using Daiwa magsealed reels in the surf?  Is Magseal supposed to prevent water as well as sand from entering the reel?  Can I drop it in sand and just wash off?  Or would I need to relube?   Any experience with sand and magseal?

Depends................

If it's a basic mag seal south of the certate or saltiga.  Meaning that it doesn't use mag sealed ball bearings.   There are light rubber seals that will keep sand out.

And it takes a bit of jiu jitsu for sand to get up and under the rotor up into where the magseal is in the simpler designs.

But.  Sand issues don't really mean getting into the reel.  That's very rare and really only common on old school reels or reels with Antireverse clutch switches that are open to the internals of the reel.  *ar clutch on off switches on daiwa are outside and the two sideplates fit together behind it and a metal bar goes through a small hole which won't allow sand to get buy.

Issues with sand really come into play with binding.....sand getting into tolerances between the rotor and frame, line roller, handle joins that really need water to effective and quickly clear.   Takes a different sort of reel to handle effectively.

Mag sealed bearings will keep crap out.  But when it comes time to service them..it's a bear.  (I use strong magnets and high water pressure (Dental irrigator/ miniature power washer)

Mag seal at the top of the reel will keep crap out.....And when it comes time to service.....easy peezy in comparison. Size zero Philips screw driver and a paper towel *most difficult part of the operation is on the ballistic lt reels on down and that is alligning the top cap as you tighten the 3 screws after replacing the mag seal..

(higher end designs are easier since it's a threaded cap that auto centers)

That said......

More basic designs aren't rugged surf reels......and the sealing just extends like new performance buy keeping normal crap out.  And protects against spray. and large contaminants.  The higher end designs will hold up but if you need to strip everything.....grab a coke and a smile...(and while the cheap ferrofluid on amazon will work at the ar clutch.....I'm not liking it in the bearings so that adds another level of ughhhhh :) and that's' after a 2 year long experiment)

I’m not sure how sand is really an issue or a problem, drop any reel in the sand and there’s going to be some crunching. There sb no reason for sand to get inside. 

I fished a saltiga 5000 almost exclusively this year. It definitely got wet, it definitely got fished under water. I just sent it back for service. It’s was just a little rough. I sent it because I wanted to see what the impact of using it for a season would be. I do not think daiwa meant for that reel to be used like a vs. That is how I used mine tho. It will be interesting to see if there are any issues internally. 

1 hour ago, aneary said:

Maybe its just me, but I would never, ever, drop my reel in the sand. I don't care what kind of reel it is. 

ditto,,

HH

After a season in hell with my 5k diawa saltist I wouldn’t recommend a mag sealed reel to someone unless they fish bait , back bays, inlets,  or light surf conditions  ... like scooby said maintence is a bear..and I say the magseal is a PITFA that should have been aborted because for lack of a better word it’s DUMB  ....I’d also never buy a diawa reel ever again for a number of reasons I won’t bore you with right now ....think I’m done ✅ oh yeah sand ... they’ll hold up if you hold them up...

Edited by charles s

I really like my Certate HD. Honestly, I like it more than a few of the smaller Stella’s I have owned in the past. The monocoque body is in a different league co pared to the lower end Daiwas. 

I can tell you this, I have been fishing the Certate from the beach for almost 2 years now. It’s never been serviced and it is as smooth as the day I purchased it. 

Let me be clear, I wouldn’t fish the mag sealed reels the same way I would fish a high end sealed reel like a Penn Torque. With the Torques, you can let your guard down, dunk or swim with it, drop it at the ebb in the sand while releasing a fish. I wouldn’t t do that with any mag sealed Daiwa.

Scooby offered you the best advice above. They are great reels, but with there tight tolerances and ferrofluid seals, your gonna have to be more careful in the surf.

5 hours ago, Alexey said:

I have Daiwa Luvias.  Does anyone know, Is it a simpler or higher-end magseal design?

It's the mag sealed bearings that get crazy.  Your reel isn't using them.

If you look on the daiwa site it says mag sealed main shaft (it says that for all their mag sealed spinners but it's wrong....no daiwa reel ever made has a mag sealed main shaft.  It has a mag sealed AR clutch sleeve :)  )

16 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Obviously no one should do that but sometimes **** happens. 

Well the original poster asked "can I drop the reel in the sand and just rinse it off" and I wanted to let them know that is not a normal thing to do with a reel, no matter what kind of reel. I was just fishing this morning and a couple dads and their sons were fishing next to me, son catches a small jack and drops the rod onto the sand to pick up the fish. Dad picked up the rod and rinsed dunked it a few times into the ocean. No good!

2 hours ago, Alexey said:

Thanks so much, Scooby!  Does this mean that other than clutch sleeve, It can be serviced normally?  

Yup.  There is a magnetic disc that surrounds it.  Remove the rotor carefully so it doesn't pull the ar clutch sleeve out.

Then remove the magnetic plate which will pull the ar clutch slee out of the clutch.

Set aside and service as normal.

When reinstalling.....that magnetic plate may need some repetitive screw loosening and allignment so ithe sleeve doesn't rub on the magnet ring.  OTher than that standard order of operations

1 person likes this