Quiverrxd

Shimano Surf Bags experience?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Thanks. Didn’t think it’d of held a stick shad. 

It does, though barely. You need to be careful with plugs like stick shads. They can get wedged and are a real pain to free.

I will say I bought a lightly used gear up bag like two year ago for 100$ and it’s so far proven very durable and I like it way more then the Shimano .. the blue wave served me well though for like 3 years of beating it up .. final kill was mesh in bottom of bag started to tare .. still got it and prob will patch it for my kid to use 

This is what I tell people about the blue wave bag..  If you fish more than once a week get a different bag.  I had mine for about 6 months before I wanted to light it on fire.  Plugs get stuck in the material and that mesh crap on the side of it.  A plug got stuck in it for the 29239742394723th time one day and I tried to yank it out resulting in my putting a hook in my hand.. I threw the bag went inside the house grabbed my keys, went to the tackle shop and bought the ODM bag.  If it is your first bag and not sure if you like fishing you can always buy a better bag and sell it if you don't like fishing.

Sandbar1 likes this

I have the large for during the day and the small for night fishing. Im not one to overload my bag.  I look at the water and see what will work for night.  I wear mine on my shoulder and use the back clip to clip on an o-ring on back of my belt. Its takes pressure off shoulder, doesnt move around when casting or unhooking fish.

On my waist I carry a seperate pouch for shads and bucktails.

Going on 4 years, washing it down after every use I guess helps.

I’ve had mine three years, and I got it for $50 used here in the Bst. Occasionally I get a hook stuck in the fabric or the bottom and pisses me off. I could probably justify trying a different “budget” bag but this one has done well by me for the money and my not overly aggressive needs. I also use a belt in addition to the shoulder strap. 

For me, if I had $200 more now or back when I got my blue wave, I would’ve gone out and bought myself a nice (or nicer) fishing rod. But if I didn’t have so many darn kids ;-), I’d probably get one of those fancy sailcloth bags. 

Good luck!

I just got one to replace my generic “green striper logo” bag. Honestly I like how the flap can hold tins and buck tails, it’s comfortable, price is great......but the overall feel is eh. My main problem is the plug storage, the boxes are tall but not very wide( stuff gets wedged with bigger hooks). Also due to the strong Velcro seal you can’t really have anything pop out higher than the plastic storage cups otherwise it won’t seal. I do like the feel and size, but also find myself missing my simple no name bag that had nice wide storage and hook cut outs. 

Edited by jk20a3

Got the large this year.  Fish most weekends at the Canal.  ( all rocks no surf).  For me the bag work fine as I determine what I’ll need for that day and go.  My only issue is it’s a bit unstable when you load up the front flaps with metals/buck tails etc.  constantly falling over but I can deal with it as the price was very good.   Mine is still in great shape.   

On 11/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, Ripnowell45 said:

This is what I tell people about the blue wave bag..  If you fish more than once a week get a different bag.  I had mine for about 6 months before I wanted to light it on fire.  Plugs get stuck in the material and that mesh crap on the side of it.  A plug got stuck in it for the 29239742394723th time one day and I tried to yank it out resulting in my putting a hook in my hand.. I threw the bag went inside the house grabbed my keys, went to the tackle shop and bought the ODM bag.  If it is your first bag and not sure if you like fishing you can always buy a better bag and sell it if you don't like fishing.

I did the same yesterday. Went to my favorite dealer in Pt Pleasant and told Ron to get me that ODM. Kind of pricey  but it is a nice bag!