Quiverrxd

Shimano Surf Bags experience?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I use both  sizes............Great when new for certain things......not very light especially when you have on on side of your hip and have to walk a few miles on sand.

The mesh pouch will snag hooks bad enough to crimp barbs or cut out

The bag if overstuff with too tall of lures will not want to stay closed.  When new it's somewhat secure....when worn....it won't hold at all and it's a pain to get working right without a sewing machine that can handle it which i don't have.

I love the small bag for stick style baits and tins.  It does tins well and the fold out elastic holder for the primary tins is nice in the dark 

Holds up to 3 ounce bucktails

Don't buy the bag planning to have trouble free nights with wedged plugs that you want to punch something when changing out  Because you aren't at the truck loading up anymore and plugs jostled around after a few miles.

I'd much rather have the gear up 2 tube with pouch but even owning japanese xefo freshwater bags with boa closures and magnets......I find it hard to come to grasp with the price

22 mins ago, Quiverrxd said:

Thank you all - aquaskin or supreme it is, thank you!

:bigeyes:

For the price you won't be disappointed with the aquaskinz.

The large has worked fine for me for 3 seasons. Completely destroyed in a few months? Did you light it on fire?

2 mins ago, nateD said:

The large has worked fine for me for 3 seasons. Completely destroyed in a few months? Did you light it on fire?

I fish hard. Every night on rocks and boulders and in heavy surf. This bag didn't stand up to that. I started using zipties and duct tape trying to hold it together before asking myself why I was wasting time on an inferior product and upgrading. Not saying others have not had good experiences with this bag, me personally I was not impressed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have one and yes came apart. Also was paranoid about my lures or bucktails coming out the side holes on outside flap. Yes I lost 4 of my lures on a fall out in Montauk. Got up outta the water and realized they were gone good by so I wouldn’t even consider buying another. That’s just my opinion. Spend the money and get a good bag. We spend good money on lures and want them for safe. I now have an ODM bag which I love. Check out my review on it on you tube. I’m Mr. Poseidon

Edited by PoseidonSurf

I've fished mine pretty damn hard over the last two seasons. It isn't a Gear-Up, but for the money I don't think you'll find better. As for the weight, I mean come on... a lot of guys are carrying at least 8 plugs (most of which are 2oz+) and a whole bunch of bucktails and tins. That sounds like nitpicking to me. 

I bought mine cause I was just really getting into it and thought other things were more important to spend on. I will use it until it can't be used anymore, and then I will upgrade. 

If you can afford to, definitely get something better, but if you can't, this bag will do what you need it to. 

ThrowinPlugs likes this

11 mins ago, RI: best part of CT said:

I have a smaller one... I used it for night fishing from the rocks with bombers, mag darters and sluggos for spring stripers. Bit of a PITA when a larger plug gets lodged in a tube

Another point I forgot is that the square tubes are akward when trying to cram plugs.

Good evening. Adding my two cents in on the shimano blue wave bags - I had the smaller bag. Loved it so much. Loved the jig storage BUT I hated that the lure storage has small drain holes that sometimes get caught with travel hooks from my sp minnows. Also - DO NOT over load this bag. The stitching and the hinges can’t take too much weight. I loved loaded this bag for CCCanal trip and it ripped the stitching. I ended up fixing it but ultimately gave it away for a ******* hat. also beware storing diamond jigs in the jig area as they will hang and can get caught on crap. 

On 11/8/2018 at 10:10 AM, HugeDinghy said:

whats the biggest plug it will fit...or what have you tried that doesn't fit? 

Pretty much a north bar plastic bottle take up a whole tube , you could fit a plug slightly larger then them I’d say 

27 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Pretty much a north bar plastic bottle take up a whole tube , you could fit a plug slightly larger then them I’d say 

What about width? Slots seem narrow, no? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

What about width? Slots seem narrow, no? 

Roughly 2 1/4" wide by 1 3/4" long.  Here's it loaded with a large gibbs bottle, large stick shad, ss bottle and large mag darter

20181110_192313.jpg.60ecefd0377494f6839f64113f4e8007.jpg

Here's the slot devider shimano includes in case you want to make a narrow slot even smaller while also snagging your hooks on the holes shimano included in the devider.

20181110_192400.jpg.908e296bf1b60981742d71aa543ab3f0.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1