Quiverrxd

Shimano Surf Bags experience?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hi all - does anyone have any experience with the Shimano Bluewave surf bags? They seem to have a bunch of tackle options like the folding jig compartment that the others don’t, pricing is similar to supreme - just wondering if they are worth the time.

I used one a few years.. not a terrible bag for the money .. the corners ripped and were stitched back with braid a few times .. prob caused by my crazy over loading .. liked the fold out jig slots .. tubes alil small if you like big plugs .. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Busting at the seams - Yeah I have a tackle problem - want to stuff as much variety because you just don’t know. Need a therapist to instil confidence in my tackle decisions :-). 

Edited by Quiverrxd
KSantangelo likes this

It's an ok bag.  I have been using one for several years. I wouldn't buy another one though after this eventually falls apart. The jig compartment in the front is pretty good.  The photos I've seen online are a bit misleading.  It doesn't open flat like some photos show.  It only opens a couple inches.  The front pocket is a nice size to hold a bunch of stuff.  The velcro top isn't to great.  After a bunch of times getting soaking wet it began to warp.  The tubes are nice an deep for longer plugs but some of my larger metal lips plugs just barely fit.   

I love mine so far. I do wish the flap opened more, but the jig compartments are nice. I can fit 7" redfins no problem, 8" should be about max I think. Side pouch is nice, holds a spare vr200 spool and otter tail jar. I dig it, only thing is it loses rigidity after being wet for a while but whatever. Also I'd rather a clip, than Velcro top. Nothing louder in the middle of the night than RIIIIIIIIIPPPPPP.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs
PoseidonSurf likes this

Completely destroyed mine within a few months. Then again I was swimming with it and using it in all sorts of rough conditions. Basically you get what you pay for. If your easy on your gear and or walking sandy beaches it should be fine. I personally did not like how the top flap opened and the front folds down. I also had no need for the jig slots and instead use only the bucktail slots. I changed out the shimano rectangle tubes for round inserts, the rectangular setup could barely fit larger plugs.

I wouldn't personally use this bag again and I'm glad to have upgraded. For a little more money any of the aquaskinz bags should serve you well.

Had mine for 3 years now. Good bag for the price. Velcro still holding ok, stainless steel spring clips on the plastic strap hooks rusted. Biggest complaint about it is pointless little holes in the tube inserts. Trebles find their way in and have to remove the insert to get them out. The material for the jig slots stretches out and BTs don't always want to fit in their spots unless they're 3/4oz or less. 

Think it will hold up to 9" lure. If not just remove the inserts for more room. I use the side pocket for a water bottle. 

Summertime i take the tubes out and use it to carry gulp for flounder. 

I have mentioned  this before but the jig/bucktail holder can be problematic, if your jig or bucktail happens to slide thru the loops it will go to the bottom and out the sides which are open. This happened to me many times so I sold one of two I had and the other is not used.

The bag is too heavy and the over-engineered tubes are a pita.

Edited by Bogey

5 hours ago, Bogey said:

I have mentioned  this before but the jig/bucktail holder can be problematic, if your jig or bucktail happens to slide thru the loops it will go to the bottom and out the sides which are open. This happened to me many times so I sold one of two I had and the other is not used.

The bag is too heavy and the over-engineered tubes are a pita.

I had the same problem regarding the bucktails.  He is also correct about the bag being heavy.  I sold mine. 

I had the small and large ,use the small for night fishing, large one gets too heavy after a while carrying on your shoulder, but great for the money, The only thing that I didn't like is the mesh side pockets when hooks accidentally hook the mesh and pain to remove , secondly the lure divider have holes and the treble hook gets stuck specially at night. 

17 mins ago, sandworm said:

I had the small and large ,use the small for night fishing, large one gets too heavy after a while carrying on your shoulder, but great for the money, The only thing that I didn't like is the mesh side pockets when hooks accidentally hook the mesh and pain to remove , secondly the lure divider have holes and the treble hook gets stuck specially at night. 

Why use the lure dividers? They're just anouther unnecessary, over engineered aspect of the bag. I found myself using the bag more once I had replaced the ridiculous shimano tubes with traditional round tubes. Until the bag fell apart at least.

Plain and simple its the best option at that price point.  I use the small for night fishing and rock hopping. Larger bag during day when usually fishing out of my buggy. Put the round tubes in large bag and like it more. They contain all the carrying options youll need for your plugs.  Of course its not a $280 ODM bag but at $50-$70 it cant be beat. IMHO the Shimano's best function is the small bag for night or difficult treks. 

At this price point I still found the supreme bags to be superior to the shimano. Of course both brands have their faults (get what you pay for) but having carried both and being hard on my gear I'd choose the supreme 10 times out of 10.

Ive used that bag for the past 6 seasons. Ripped it pretty good scooting through some thorns but nothinh duct tape couldnt fix. Best bag for the money IMO. Would highly recommend.  Ill be getting another one when mine finally kicks it