WFGinNM

Sanibel/ Captiva

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

We will be heading to Sanibel Saturday for a week, then down to Key Largo for another week.  Hopefully something survived the Red Tide. 

--Bill

hey I have a house in Cape Coral fished Ft. Meyers, Sanibal about 2.5 weeks ago, not bad, but red tide was still present and moving, some areas it was getting better Sanibel was not that bad, get out into the bay and gulf and fishing was very good. Read the local reports and I would not eat anything caught from the shore better safe and sorry, if u get a chance fish the matlacha bridge I do at least once when I go down bait shop at foot of bridge is awesome for live bait jumbo shrimp and pin fish work very well u will have action almost all night. Enjoy! love the area specially my vacation home on the gulf access canal in SW Cape Coral can fish off my back dock!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Please let us know how you do

i was thinking of another trip in spring but I’m very concerned about the fish kill due to the red tide.

definitely fish blind pass for snook under the bridge, they love swim shads

aslo suggest renting a boat at Jenson’s, they put us on a great sea trout bite last year

Jim

Edited by bkupmstr

I canceled my fly fishing trip to Sanibel because of the red tide and fish kill this October and February

Interested to see how you do and the conditions of the beaches

Thanks for the information, we had contemplating cancelling but already had the cottage rented by Blind Pass and figured if the fishing was a bummer we could check out the touristy stuff inland.  If it is slow, then I hope It will be better in the Keys.  I will definitely report back.

--Bill 

Fish out of Matlacha fairly often.  Fishing is very good.  Lots of trout and smaller snook. Slot reds. Sheephead and keeper mangrove snapper.

WF, keep an eye on the blue green algae in the calosahatchee well east of the mouth to the gulf. It shouldn’t get to you that fast. But, you never know given wind directions and the extend of its ability to push water. Current red tide map has the tide as med in north lee county waters and high as you move north from there into Charlotte.

now for some fish ideas. Currently there are Spanish macs around and feeding strong just off shore, out to a mile out. You can’t miss them they rocket out of the water. They are also been good sized. Latest is they are off Bonita beach and visible from shore.  Look for the birds and you’ll find the macs. 

There have been some reports of young redfish being caught in the mangroves, along with the normal snapper too. 

The ladyfish are running large in size too. 

The dolphin are around and feeding along the shore. That’s a good sign, if they are around so is the bait. Other thing around are the pelicans, they left town during the red tide. 

A cool front will be here mid next week and that will bring some westerly winds and cooler temps. Right now It’s hot again and humid. Be prepared to sweat a bit. It’s been 88* in the afternoons and low 70s in the morning.