Thomas Salute

Rebuilding a shark rod - input needed

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi all

I recently bought a pair of Mitchell Avosea Africa surf rods. They have been for sale over here in Europe for many years and are tested and proven. The only downside is that the guides and reelseat are still items that would've been used in the early 90ies.

The rods are 4 meters long (13ft4inches) and have a cw of around 20oz (yes, that much). I'd like to have them rebuild, but can't seem to be finding anyone over here in Europe who has dealt with these rods and/or who knows what components to use. The rod is a 3 (equal) pc with 6 guides. Set-up is for spinning, mated to a penn ssv 10500.

What I'd like:

- a 2 pc butt section (long for casting, short for fighting) OR removing and refitting the reel seat further back

- durable guides that won't limit the casting distance drastically. I already use a 90lbs mono topshot, so not the easiest to cast far (80 yards needs to be possible)

I am indeed talking about a topshot (I use between 50 and 100 yards because the beaches I fish are mostly volcanic: sharp rocks, abbrasive bars etc)

- a durable reel seat (was thinking about the quality graphite fuji seat)

What's your take on this?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas,

I can make a few parallels between the fishing we do here in Cape May, NJ and what sounds like what your doing.  I fish a 12' conventional setup for sharks from the beach and routinely cast a 100lb mono topshot that's typically 30'.  Abrasion from the surrounding beach isn't a huge factor however the heavy mono makes landing onery critters much easier.  I use #12 or #16 double foot guides as runners.  Fuji MN or KW frames handle job nicely.  Also, the Fuji DPSH seat is plenty heavy and maybe slightly overkill for the heaviest spinning setups.  Most of the sharks we catch are under 100lbs however its not uncommon to catch a few between 200-300lbs.  

Belmo

Maybe it's carry weight? As in capable of a 20 oz lead? 

That was my first thought. Seems feasible for sharking. Not that I've done it myself, but it makes sense in my head! 

Edited by RedGreen

Red

You having a laugh. Try casting 12 ozs and then you might find 20 really really sucks.

But you could be correct . I dont know anyone who can cast bait with weight 80 yards with a payload  of 20 ozs.

With a spinning outfit  even more horrible.

Can you clear this query Thomas please.

Agree a std Fuji DPS reel seat should be fine. Guides will depend on your reel of choice. But even Fuji ones need not be expensive and yet you will,still get great performance.

Cutting the lower section will be tricky if you also want to use it assembled. You are going to need a very strong thick walled connector. If butt section is parallel not so difficult but if tapered not that easy to make a good fitting tapered spigot.

There is a SA blank maker but I just can’t remember their name. They might have info on their web site relevant to what you are doing. It’s almost certain that they have blanks for sharks. Hopefully some one will chime in with the name. We have a guy from SA on here who may see this thread.

mike

Mike

With the way things are I need every laugh I can get! 

I agree it's extreme but then again it is shark fishing from the beach. 

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

But you could be correct . I dont know anyone who can cast bait with weight 80 yards with a payload  of 20 ozs.

With a spinning outfit  even more horrible.

If a lot of that casting weight is the bait, like if you're using a foot-long whole bunker, then I'd build a long rod and use the breeches buoy rig to fish it. The deal there is that you cast a sinker -- only the sinker -- and then, once the weight it out there, you put a clip on the line, and hold the rod tip as high as you can, and let the bait slide down the line until it's in the water.

I'd much rather do that than try to cast a giant weight and a giant dead fish.

Belmo

I have heard of this technique. It’s tough to get it to work depending on how high you can get the rod tip  and how much there is in the way of wave and wind plus current.

Various ways to try and solve this problem. This for sure is one of them.

But anything has to be better than trying to cast 20 ozs. 

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

The SA guy is me...

Mike you might be thinking of either Purglas or Blue Marlin, both make good shore based shark blanks, the edge probably going to Blue Marlin.

I have mad friends that cast 8-10oz + a yellowtail head.

The most common big shark set ups here for casting large baits are:

Fixed spool:

Saragosa 20-25k or similar size; 50-80lb braid main line; 180-200lb braid casting leader of around 30'/10m.

This is FG'd to about 6' / 1.8m of 1.2mm dia mono and then trace etc.

Multiplier:

50 size, Saltiga, Torium etc

600m+ braid backing

200m+ 0.55mm mono top shot

10m+ 1.2-1.6mm mono wind on leader

Thomas,

The rod you have:

Those hateful flip up guides on your rods have to be tossed.

Guide train for fixed spool set up would run Fuji KW's with alconite rings; set up will need a few questions answered first:

How are you for casting with a low reel seat? ie for a right handed caster, your left hand controls the line release..

Just how long is your 90lb / 0.95mm top shot?

Hi guys, sorry for the late feedback and thanks for all the replies.

The rods have a stated cw of 600 - 800 grams. They come in 2 versions, one version with worthless flip-up guides and one with normal guides. I have the second version, but am still not happy about how the rod 'feels' and the used materials to finish it off.

I do not intend to cast 800 grams by any means. 225 grams of lead and 100 grams of bait are about the max I intend to cast.

The 90lbs topshot will vary, but will be approx 100 yards long at it's longest.

I want a short butt-end for fighting the fish and a long to cast. I use only spinning gear for casting and due to line capacity, I use a Penn 10500 SSV. I am right handed and hold the reel with my right hand.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Thomas Salute said:

Hi guys, sorry for the late feedback and thanks for all the replies.

The rods have a stated cw of 600 - 800 grams. They come in 2 versions, one version with worthless flip-up guides and one with normal guides. I have the second version, but am still not happy about how the rod 'feels' and the used materials to finish it off.

I do not intend to cast 800 grams by any means. 225 grams of lead and 100 grams of bait are about the max I intend to cast.

The 90lbs topshot will vary, but will be approx 100 yards long at it's longest.

I want a short butt-end for fighting the fish and a long to cast. I use only spinning gear for casting and due to line capacity, I use a Penn 10500 SSV. I am right handed and hold the reel with my right hand.

Thomas,

Ive seen this style of setup online (short butt on spinning rod)  it was but not here in the states.   Short butt setups are commonly used in long distance casting (conventional) rods in competition but I have yet to see one on the beach.    Im sure the wealth of knowledge on this site can help you with a functional guide layout and pic appropriate components but the jury is out so to speak on building a rod with a removable butt section.  

2 hours ago, tbush said:

but the jury is out so to speak on building a rod with a removable butt section.

I would not cut the butt section.

Reducers as used on some of Century's big heavers are used to be cast in the collapsed position but extended for winding in.

Two reel seats; one up one down.

Thomas, you mentioned fishing over areas of Volcanic rock, I'm intrigued, where are you fishing?

Thanks again for all the info guys, great forum as always.

The idea for the 2 piece butt came from this rod: the shimano bx travel surf (it's 14ft)

https://www.tumonart.com/images/beastmaster_bx_traveler444.png

I have two of these rods and they are quite strong. Casting with the long butt, fighting with the short...

I spend most of my 'big game surf fishing' (if you want to call it that way) on the Canary Islands, but would also like to use them in Florida and on Cape Verde. When I was fishing in Florida last year, I just used straight braid with shock leader and will continue to do so in the future since it gave me zero problems.

In South Africa they use rods with the reel seat all the way down (even with spinning gear), but it would be a new style of casting for me. It is an option tough...