icarussound

Lightest rig for tarpon?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’ve been getting lighter and lighter this year for surf fishing off the beach, I’m now down to a medium stellar lite rod and a 3000 Nasci reel, 10 lb braid, which is pretty perfect for bucktails 1/2-1 oz. I’m still waiting for a big fish to test this though! Biggest was a fat 36” Snook, maybe close to 20#.

my goal this year is to either get spooled or break my rod on a monster! 

Im curious if this could handle a 50# + tarpon... I think not but perhaps someone here has landed a fish like that on a little rod/reel?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's certainly doable--but that comes at the cost of having the patience, fighting it right and REALLY tiring out the fish.

However...having said that...i do the same thing (try going lighter n' lighter)...my best was a 25-30#  tarpon on a 7'6ML dialuna with a vr50/10# SuperSlick.

If youve seen these rods (which are great BTW), you know how they "look" like absolute buggy whips...twigs--but gosh they do work.

So yeah--i imagine you could pull off what youre trying to do (...a rabbit's foot in your pocket probably wouldnt hurt tho)

Edited by Mauru

I've gotten them up to 100lbs on a 9oz Stella 4k 20lb line, 7.6 Avid Inshore rod....but that was in an inlet, big difference. Also on a Stella, big difference. I would not recommend targeting the larger Tarpon on the open beach with the light stuff. Getting spooled is, well, a thrill but not so good for the fish swimming away with hundreds of yards of line dangling from its mouth (if a break-off). If not, then the fight time could do them in. All said and done, it's doable and certainly possible. However, I would recommend gearing up to get the job done as fast and as efficient as possible. My 2 pennies.

53 mins ago, zcoker said:

I've gotten them up to 100lbs on a 9oz Stella 4k 20lb line, 7.6 Avid Inshore rod....but that was in an inlet, big difference. Also on a Stella, big difference. I would not recommend targeting the larger Tarpon on the open beach with the light stuff. Getting spooled is, well, a thrill but not so good for the fish swimming away with hundreds of yards of line dangling from its mouth (if a break-off). If not, then the fight time could do them in. All said and done, it's doable and certainly possible. However, I would recommend gearing up to get the job done as fast and as efficient as possible. My 2 pennies.

Yup !!!

OK, good point. It's all conceptual for me now. I do have a rig that'll handle it but so far (3years here) I've lost every tarpon but one. 

taken 5 Tarpon up to 40 lbs with 20 lb braid , 35 floro leader  CI4  2500 reel  4 piece Salmon rod  beached two & 3 spit the Mirrolure out  at the water's edge . I wasn't targeting them they were in the mix w/ Snook , like zcoker  mentioned about getting spooled with all that line & jewelry in its mouth is not very sporting . From a boat you can move with your catch & play the fish out but you really want a fast release . As exhausted will stay on the bottom & most likely a shark ( hammerhead ) will finish her off .     

Yeah I suck, didn’t think of that. All the tarpon I’ve been seeing this year - off my beach that is - are big girls. I’m lazy so usually only bring one rod and most of the time it’s the lite one. Got a bum shoulder that flares up periodically these days. Anyway I hear you, and agree, so for the time being I’ll have my medium heavy rig also. Fishing has been very very good the last week with the red tide gone and the mullet run continuing. 

Good advise here.. i believe in using the right tool for the job, and releasing fish with a good solid chance to survive.  I use an 8wt fly rod for smaller tarpon, and it's a blast. But if I break off it's only a few feet of tippet - not a line. I've also found for me all fish fight differently on a fly recovery. Probably due to differences in my approach to fighting/ landing the fish. I first noted these differences in big bluefish.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:37 AM, zcoker said:

^What he said!  Don't waste your time with light gear when targeting tarpon.