rubberheels

Legend Surf

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, rubberheels said:

Is the S.C. Legend Surf that good of a rod?Come on $600! Thats $200 more than Most other top shelf rods. They are way over the top on for a factory rod. YA THINK?

Torzites don't make a difference in the surf.  

It's laughable how much they cost

I'd rather the $$ went into in house technology like blank tech or custom reel seats rather than very expensive lego parts.

The Torzite legends are the same blanks from a decade ago right?  with a butt cap and stuff around the reel seat?

Ultra light weight $$$ guides like Torzites and AGS just aren't appreciable on long heavy blanks that only use half a dozen guides on the whole shabang that weighs 12 ounces.  (Just weighed an 11 foot rod the other day that happily throws 6 ounces and with it's stainless guides it weighs less than the shorter Legend that struggles throwing 3.5 with torzites.)

When you have a whole rod that weighs 3 to 4 ounces and has twice the amount of guides.  And you hold the rod by cradling the reel.  Keep the tip up and work the tip with your wrist.   Not just pit tucking or perching the rod on your leg.  That's where you'll possibly notice a difference.  But even then it's a side by side sorta thing.   At the same time...........often when you use rods like that you can use micros

5 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Torzites don't make a difference in the surf.  

It's laughable how much they cost

I'd rather the $$ went into in house technology like blank tech or custom reel seats rather than very expensive lego parts.

The Torzite legends are the same blanks from a decade ago right?  with a butt cap and stuff around the reel seat?

Ultra light weight $$$ guides like Torzites and AGS just aren't appreciable on long heavy blanks that only use half a dozen guides on the whole shabang that weighs 12 ounces.  (Just weighed an 11 foot rod the other day that happily throws 6 ounces and with it's stainless guides it weighs less than the shorter Legend that struggles throwing 3.5 with torzites.)

When you have a whole rod that weighs 3 to 4 ounces and has twice the amount of guides.  And you hold the rod by cradling the reel.  Keep the tip up and work the tip with your wrist.   Not just pit tucking or perching the rod on your leg.  That's where you'll possibly notice a difference.  But even then it's a side by side sorta thing.   At the same time...........often when you use rods like that you can use micros

Damn, what rod was that and what rated legend were you using that struggled with 3.5?

3 hours ago, levari said:

Do you know the difference between expensive and overpriced?

I believe they moved the price up with the titanium guides largely to deal with costs with their rod replacement/warranty plans. I love the rods but feel i am being fleeced with the addition of the titanium guides and the jacked up price.

I don't think it's worth it. I have two legend rods and i like the mojos more. they might be worse might be better but i like the way they feel.  I do love my 8ft legend but i think i would be just as happy with the mojo. Now when i break either of the legends which i will i will be happy to have the warranty. 

27 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I believe they moved the price up with the titanium guides largely to deal with costs with their rod replacement/warranty plans. I love the rods but feel i am being fleeced with the addition of the titanium guides and the jacked up price.

If you don’t feel you need the replacement warranty for the next 20 years and you don’t want to spend the extra $$$$ for the guides or the grip then you can find in the market other choices for less $$$. However keep in mind that there are other brands that cost you slightly less but they give you much less. 

4 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

also i have the old version of the legend so i am not even sure my opinion is relevant. 

You sure can't complain about the price :rolleyes:

59 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Damn, what rod was that and what rated legend were you using that struggled with 3.5?

10'6 3/4 - 4 

Not a rod that can hammer much over 3 ounces.  I sold it off after a half a season

11 mins ago, levari said:

If you don’t feel you need the replacement warranty for the next 20 years and you don’t want to spend the extra $$$$ for the guides or the grip then you can find in the market other choices for less $$$. However keep in mind that there are other brands that cost you slightly less but they give you much less. 

if they offered the legend with teh old guides, i would have a rod that performs the same for substantially less cost. unfortunately the century i like has undergone essentially the same price jump. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

When i break my old legends it will be my own fault (as they seemed to have finally gotten me rods that no longer break in the ferrule area,) and their replacement fee will likely be higher than the original advertised replacement fee when i bought the rods

Edited by rollincoal

35 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

10'6 3/4 - 4 

Not a rod that can hammer much over 3 ounces.  I sold it off after a half a season

Damn i was looking at that for a smaller fish rig like top n bottom, mullet rig etc. for surf and smaller jigs bt's and such. I like the 1-4 mojo i have for throwing the heavier stuff and use it for light chunking but i wanted something for lighter applications the 1-4 is a little too stiff for smaller stuff.

Edited by Ravens52988

53 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Damn i was looking at that for a smaller fish rig like top n bottom, mullet rig etc. for surf and smaller jigs bt's and such. I like the 1-4 mojo i have for throwing the heavier stuff and use it for light chunking but i wanted something for lighter applications the 1-4 is a little too stiff for smaller stuff.

I liked it for half ounce to super strike little neck sinkers  

Over three ounces I felt it started falling flat and I couldn't really put much power into a cast.  

But maybe I'm different..as the whole world seemingly thinks it's the bees knees.

Enough that I didn't keep it.  

17 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I liked it for half ounce to super strike little neck sinkers  

Over three ounces I felt it started falling flat and I couldn't really put much power into a cast.  

But maybe I'm different..as the whole world seemingly thinks it's the bees knees.

Enough that I didn't keep it.  

To each their own, wont judge ya any different. Do you think its more to do with the moderate power and action or material of the rod itself.all of the other st croixs i have( tidemaster, triumph, mojo, avid) can handle up to the max weight limit without feeling flimsy. Then again most of them are  medium heavys or heavys and fasts or moderate fasts.

Edited by Ravens52988

I wouldn’t use a 3/4-4 legend to throw chunks in fact I never even tried to with mine, but it’s great for 1-2.5 ounce buck tails, poppers, darters, bottles etc. I don’t find it to be that great of a pencil popper rod eithe as it’s very stiff and it’s not to great with light bombers. I prefer more parabolic rod like Loomis IMX surf or old flexi Lamis... Gsb 1201m for pencils but I still do throw pencils with the Legend.