Thumb-Burner

Need advice on new spinning reel

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Been away from buying equipment for a loooooonnnngggg time.  I've never heard of anything offered now...  Wanting to pick up a spinning reel for use from the surf for light weight and bait and for casting larger plugs and metal.  wanting to stay around 100 bucks for the reel..  looking at daiwa exceler and new daiwa BG.  thoughts on those or other recommendations in that range.. i was a daiwa and shimano fan for spinning reels back in the day..

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Been away from buying equipment for a loooooonnnngggg time.  I've never heard of anything offered now...  Wanting to pick up a spinning reel for use from the surf for light weight and bait and for casting larger plugs and metal.  wanting to stay around 100 bucks for the reel..  looking at daiwa exceler and new daiwa BG.  thoughts on those or other recommendations in that range.. i was a daiwa and shimano fan for spinning reels back in the day..

The pillar of that category is the Shimano Spheros,,and the Saragosa. The BG is a good reel,but if you are really talking surf,,not the best choice,no sealing at all..if it gets very wet or dunked you will have issues. My Spheros has been under water 3 or 4 times ,,no water intrusion. Of course these exceed the price you want to spend,,so the BG in that price range is tough to beat,but I only use mine in the back bays ,docks,piers etc,,places I know it’s not going to get splashed or get submerged.

12 mins ago, cashews121 said:

The pillar of that category is the Shimano Spheros,,and the Saragosa. The BG is a good reel,but if you are really talking surf,,not the best choice,no sealing at all..if it gets very wet or dunked you will have issues. My Spheros has been under water 3 or 4 times ,,no water intrusion. Of course these exceed the price you want to spend,,so the BG in that price range is tough to beat,but I only use mine in the back bays ,docks,piers etc,,places I know it’s not going to get splashed or get submerged.

very helpful.. have an old black and gold spheros in 4000 that i love..  didn't know anything about the new ones.

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

very helpful.. have an old black and gold spheros in 4000 that i love..  didn't know anything about the new ones.

The Spheros SW is the current model

Own four of the Daiwa BG, great reel for the money.  You should also look at the recently introduced Penn Spinfisher VI; only a bit more money than the BG but offering better sealing against salt water.  OH

Been fishing a BG in the surf, bay, freshwater and never had a problem with it as far as salt entering this reel, just need to make sure spray/wash it off good after using. I use a spray bottle and go over mine after each use in salt water then oil the line roller, take spool off and clean real good. Now, if you are getting it splashed/submerged constantly, you will probably need to go up in price, but for $100 bucks you will not find one any better. Believe it is Alan Hawks that has done a great review of this reel on You T....he breaks it down and explains the gearing, bearing used,etc. and you need to see this before you buy.