Rangler

St. Croix Mojo surf vs Triumph Surf for Inlet Jetty fishing? (Tautog)

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'd rather have a Mojo than a Triumph too, but not with a 'Gosa on it.  The reel won't play nice with the bastardized lowrider guide setup.

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

For catching TOG??????? Im not so sure about that.

He said for matching with the reel  and besides that he has plenty of different set ups to choose from in terms of power and action.

9 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

If you want the MMF2 just buy a broom stick and tape some guides on it.  Absolute worst rod I've ever used/owned.

I am an advocate of fast rods but you arent wrong. The mmf feels heavy and fast. Even for a st croix and fast rod. I use it when the currents fast/strong. 

17 mins ago, Kima said:

I'd rather have a Mojo than a Triumph too, but not with a 'Gosa on it.  The reel won't play nice with the bastardized lowrider guide setup.

Whats up with the gosa on the mojo compared to others?  Ive put a few penns and daiwas on it with no problem.

13 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Whats up with the gosa on the mojo compared to others?  Ive put a few penns and daiwas on it with no problem.

The Spheros and Gosa don't have a bend in the reel stem like every other brand, the spool is parallel to the rod where everyone else points the spool towards the guides. With the small size of the guides, and them being generally close to both the reel seat and the blank, the line hits funny on the retrieve and the whole thing bounces.

ecks likes this

13 mins ago, Kima said:

The Spheros and Gosa don't have a bend in the reel stem like every other brand, the spool is parallel to the rod where everyone else points the spool towards the guides. With the small size of the guides, and them being generally close to both the reel seat and the blank, the line hits funny on the retrieve and the whole thing bounces.

Gotcha, never used a spheros or gosa before.

3 hours ago, Kima said:

reading your posts , I find them good learning , If I'm reading correctly . What is the distance ( you recommend ) from the reel/ reel seat to the 1st guide closest to the reel ?   to avoid bounces    I use Spheros  tks 

33 mins ago, Hook I said:

reading your posts , I find them good learning , If I'm reading correctly . What is the distance ( you recommend ) from the reel/ reel seat to the 1st guide closest to the reel ?   to avoid bounces    I use Spheros  tks 

That number I don't know, but I know a 8000 Spheros on my 10'6" Mojo was darn near unusable.

13 mins ago, Kima said:

That number I don't know, but I know a 8000 Spheros on my 10'6" Mojo was darn near unusable.

Of thanks for the speedy reply , 

I don’t use any reel over 6000

good thread 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lots of great information here and I learned a lot!

I got 9' mojo surf mmf rod and it looks like gosa isn't gonna work anyway.

I will just put shimano socorro 5000 to see if it works :D

Edited by Rangler