Rangler

St. Croix Mojo surf vs Triumph Surf for Inlet Jetty fishing? (Tautog)

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know this topic has been around for a while here and there but I couldn't find any answer for my application.

I will be fishing mostly off IRI jetty and OCMD inlet/jetty targeting tog and other species from piers.

95% Inlet Jetty/Pier fishing / 5% other places.

I have Saragosa 8000 to pair with the rod (Actually I wasn't considering getting this but coudn't resist for price of spheros.:cool:)

I did some research and narrowed down to St. Croix rods but still having a trouble deciding which one I should buy.

Mojo really worth the extra $ for my need? I need feedbacks especially on Rod length, Action, Lure weight.

Open to other rod recommendation as well.

Thanks in advance!

Here are the specs;

Triumph Surf

5be38c15dfcb3_ScreenShot2018-11-07at7_31_27PM.png.1de279f3ac1254191187fac13cc42951.png

Mojo Surf

mojo.png.b255f9567c4e342b293d248d34c73f5e.png

Edited by Rangler

I have the mmf and it can handle up to the rated 4oz and ill use more if im using it for a bait and weight rod.  Theyre 2 completely different rods. Ones more moderate the others more fast and i might add pretty fast at that but i love fast rods. It also depends on what youre doing... plugs, metals, bt, bait as one is better suited with the mm than the mmf and vice versa and where youre going to be at. If youre throwing into strong current and havta cast out far get the mmf. If its 10yds out and smaller lures/baits get the mm

I know youre going for tog and such but this was just an idiots guide to choosing a rod.

If youre doing cnr go with the mmf as its got a little bit more pulling power and will get the fish in a little bit quicker.

Edited by Ravens52988

The 8000 Spherogosa is miserable on the Mojo, I've tried it. Look for something with bigger guides father off the blank.

Edit: I just noticed you're looking at the 9' model too. That reel is waaaay too big for a 9' Mojo.

Edited by Kima

3 hours ago, Cacdaddy3 said:

Agree with Ravens42988.  Actually use the MSS90MM2 with BG4000 and Slammer II 4500 and both feel pretty good on the rod

I have BG3000 and Spinfisher 4500. I might consider that.

Thanks for your input!

2 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

I have the mmf and it can handle up to the rated 4oz and ill use more if im using it for a bait and weight rod.  Theyre 2 completely different rods. Ones more moderate the others more fast and i might add pretty fast at that but i love fast rods. It also depends on what youre doing... plugs, metals, bt, bait as one is better suited with the mm than the mmf and vice versa and where youre going to be at. If youre throwing into strong current and havta cast out far get the mmf. If its 10yds out and smaller lures/baits get the mm

I know youre going for tog and such but this was just an idiots guide to choosing a rod.

If youre doing cnr go with the mmf as its got a little bit more pulling power and will get the fish in a little bit quicker.

Would 10' Triumph give better balance? or Can you recommend any other rods that would go well with the reel?

Tsunami airwaves elite was my other option but I was leaning towards St. Croix just because of their warranty program.

Thanks,

J

Your reel will probably fit better on a 12' tsunami airwave elite heavy action. or maybe a 7' extra heavy rod which you can throw a hole bunker.

1 hour ago, Kima said:

The 8000 Spherogosa is miserable on the Mojo, I've tried it. Look for something with bigger guides father off the blank.

Edit: I just noticed you're looking at the 9' model too. That reel is waaaay too big for a 9' Mojo.

Uh no! I thought gosa 6000 and 8000 are the same.  Difference is just line capacity so it is a tad bit heavier. 

Do you think 10 ft Triumph would work better with the reel? 

FOR TOG-I would go with a 12 foot stiff rod. It really helps getting the tog up and out of the rocks. Also a long stiff rod is easier to free snagged sinkers or slightly bend (to free) the Mustad Virginia hooks I use. I don’t see a problem using large spinner. Large spinners retrieve more line per crank which is what you need to avoid hanging up on rocks on the way in. 

25 mins ago, ecks said:

FOR TOG-I would go with a 12 foot stiff rod. It really helps getting the tog up and out of the rocks. Also a long stiff rod is easier to free snagged sinkers or slightly bend (to free) the Mustad Virginia hooks I use. I don’t see a problem using large spinner. Large spinners retrieve more line per crank which is what you need to avoid hanging up on rocks on the way in. 

You want a stout rod but not one so stiff where you cant feel the bite. It doesnt matter what length the rod is if you know how to free a snag properly. Yes large spinners retrieve more line per crank but hes going to be casting a lot and simply put an 8000 will tire his ass out after 25 casts.

Edited by Ravens52988

6 hours ago, tand331 said:

Your reel will probably fit better on a 12' tsunami airwave elite heavy action. or maybe a 7' extra heavy rod which you can throw a hole bunker.

The 12' would be good but the 7' would be a bad idea. Casting a whole chunk on a 7ft rod that wont be rated or made as strong as a longer rod will be like trying to cast with a broomstick, you wont get very far. Hes jetty/pier fishing for tog and other fish not sharks, he doesnt need to cast out whole bunker, even then any situation where hed ned to cast out whole bunker with a 7ft rod he wont get past 30yds.

Edited by Ravens52988

7 hours ago, Rangler said:

Would 10' Triumph give better balance? or Can you recommend any other rods that would go well with the reel?

Tsunami airwaves elite was my other option but I was leaning towards St. Croix just because of their warranty program.

Thanks,

J

While still a st.croix(meaning it being one of the better rods out there) it is in their lower spectrum of quality rods, it isnt as fast as the mojo. If youre set on the 8000 gosa get an 11 or 12ft rod as the 8000 will still be to big for the 9 bit if you are set on a 9footer then get a smaller reel like a 4500-5000

The tsunamis are good but make sure its the elite and not the basic airwave. You cant go wrong with a century or blackhole but you wont find them having a warranty program half as good as St. Croix and before people start bitching about a warranty being a deciding factor in rod purchases, dont listen to them, if you have the chance to get a rod thats just as good if not better than another that only has a 1-3 year warranty wouldnt you want to take the one with the lifetime/unlimited. 

Just go and feel the rods out, if you see someone with a mojo or airwave elite or any other nice rods ask them about it, see if you can handle it. One type/brand of rod for person a might not be the best choice for person b, ultimately just go with what works best for you because you might listen to one of us and be stuck with a rod that is ok for your application but since you wouldnt know any better you wouldnt know to improve.

Edited by Ravens52988
hunter123 likes this

10 hours ago, Rangler said:

Uh no! I thought gosa 6000 and 8000 are the same.  Difference is just line capacity so it is a tad bit heavier. 

Do you think 10 ft Triumph would work better with the reel? 

The 6000 is smaller, I'm pretty sure 8000 and 10000 are the same. The Triumph would be better than the Mojo, but I've found the Airwave Elites to play nicely with those reels.

46 mins ago, Kima said:

The 6000 is smaller, I'm pretty sure 8000 and 10000 are the same. The Triumph would be better than the Mojo, but I've found the Airwave Elites to play nicely with those reels.

The mojo is way better than the triumph 

The airwave elites are very nice, i got my father one for his b-day and its very light and sturdy for the size and price. I just dont like the butt cap

Edited by Ravens52988