Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Pinched nerve in neck, still wanna fish

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Thanks for the great info golden. I’m so nervous about MRI results Sat. pm. Experiencing the same arm pain, and getting intense a time nightime. Hoping to avoid surgery, but definitely don’t want to have this be an ongoing issue. Sucks to get old.

Worrying makes sense, but if you need to do something surgical about, don't worry tooo much.  These days, they do these all the time.  Guys like use get older, think we can still do the same crazy s*** we did when we were kids - just have to watch it.  If you get to the point where it is necessary, I recommend Dr Michael Groff at Brighma and Womens in Boston.  One of the country's best for spine procedures.  

And, as a matter of fact, to put it in perspective, I was just on my roof last weekend, roofing it, only 8 months after cervical surgery.

5 hours ago, golden said:

I had recurring neck/shoulder/arm pain for about 4 years, thought it was pinched but the pain grew intense in my arm.  bulging discs turned to herniated.  Last November, could barely move without blazing pain.  Cortisone/focal block two shots in my cervical spine area helped huge for about 6 weeks.  If you have herniated discs, it only masks the problem for awhile.  Someday, you'll need surgery.  I had to discs replaced in February, between c5 & 6, 6 & 7.  By May, I was casting normally, pain free.  The relief is almost instant after surgery, only really two weeks of extra careful recovery.  Surgery was early morning, one night, then home.  A week of TV and pain meds, all set.  Funny thing, pretty sure the discs issues started in my early 20s, after we rear-ended some Irish guys that had stopped in the middle of the road after leaving the same Allman Brothers concert, late 80s.  Didn't keep me off the sand and rocks this season!  

Great info! Gives me hope if mine turns out to be a recurring issue. I still have twinges of pain in the back, but arm pain and numbness are completely gone. About a month into the shots, had 2 within a month and the 2nd one really did the trick 

6 mins ago, golden said:

Worrying makes sense, but if you need to do something surgical about, don't worry tooo much.  These days, they do these all the time.  Guys like use get older, think we can still do the same crazy s*** we did when we were kids - just have to watch it.  If you get to the point where it is necessary, I recommend Dr Michael Groff at Brighma and Womens in Boston.  One of the country's best for spine procedures.  

And, as a matter of fact, to put it in perspective, I was just on my roof last weekend, roofing it, only 8 months after cervical surgery.

Thanks for the Dr.’s name, I appreciate that. Hoping it’s not at that point yet, but having had some issues for years, it may be a reality. Brigham and Women’s has some fantastic Dr.’s, and were amazing during my wife’s breast cancer surgery. Always enjoy hearing successful stories like yours, especially from a fisherman. Screw work, i just want to know I’m going to be able to fish again!! 

Glad to hear you’re doing great golden, and thanks again.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a problem with a few discs in my neck. They started causing me a problem two years ago. The first time it happened my season ended in late October. It was january before the pain was gone. I've had a few flares since then. I saw a few docs, had some rads which showed some issues. I'm reluctant to pursue it further - I won't get cut until the pain is unbearable.

After the first problem, once I felt better, I joined a gym. I focused on stretching, flexibility, etc. I've been a lot better since then. This year, I basically took the entire month of october off to fish - i shouldn't have. The neck issues are starting to creep back in. I have numbness in my fingers, some light pain. Hopefully getting back to the gym, stretching, will  help. I would use caution when dealing with neck/back issues.

Edited by Drew C.

I have a C1 C2 fusion from a broken neck back in 1979 it flares up on occasion and when it does the pain is unbearable. Unfortunately it came back I wasn't able to move my head more then an inch in any direction. The pain lasted almost two weeks my MRI shows c2 to c7 has severe degenerative arthritis. Steroid anti inflammatory seemed to reduce the inflammation that along with muscle relaxers and oxy  helped me through some rough days, not a big fan of having to take meds but in some cases there are no other options. My advice stick to your PT regimen and take it slow good luck