Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Pinched nerve in neck, still wanna fish

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got a pinched nerve in my neck from riding ATV's to rough in august.  It's getting better, but a ton of cast after cast is gonna piss it off.  Columbus day weekend I went Tog fishing in RI, but kept a free rod for a bucktail or tsunami shad.   Seemed to do ok with that method.  

What do you guys suggest?   Going to Cape May or Long Beach Inlet area this weekend.   Hit specific part of the tide?   Wander around, find birds, and wait till they come over.   Hit inlets instead?   looks like 20mph winds mostly into the beach with some cross current.

I might do bait for awhile as a possibility, then wander with the surf rod.     What's on the NJ shore right now for bait.  Shad, bunkers, sandeels?

I got friday night till sunday.  Girlfriend loves to fish too, she wants one nice dinner out one night and she likes to eat late.

Edited by salt deficient

Since August is way too long for a pinched nerve. See doctor for cortisone shot. 

I’ve lived with a bad neck for years and I handle it with neck stretches, there’s plenty of instructions online. 

They alow me to fish and play golf, try it.

For emergency results try Aleve.

I got that covered.  Going to PT, it's getting better.  Strech and ice too.   Just need a weekend strategy plan.   Seeing what you guys would do in my shoes this weekend.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Feel your pain, literally, sd. Have been dealing with ongoing shoulder problems for years, but recent changes in pain level and location, have started to point in another direction. Going for an MRI at the end of the week for possible pinched nerve in neck. Totally miserable with throbbing pain from the top of the shoulder, down the back of the arm into the elbow. Only about 3-4 hrs of sleep a night, with constant gnawing pain. So aggravating. Season is done. Hoping to avoid surgery with some steroid meds, and injections if needed. 

Edited by Mack26

Was out of work June 20th till Oct 4th. Pain shooting down my arm, fingers numb. Couldn't get a good night sleep for the 1st 2 months.   Went for pt about 2 months, which worked to a degree, but then no improvement. Went to a different Dr who did an mri and found number 6 pinched and number 7 herniated. Decided on injections into number 7 which was the culprit for the pain shooting down my arm and numbness in the fingers. Had 2 injections done and so far so good. About 95% pain free and can live with that.  Been fishing from the surf and kayaking like a madman since with no ill effects so far. Only time will tell. 

Same problem every now and then. Had to switch to baitcaster and give my right hand a break. Grew up retrieving right on a baitcaster but slowly switching all my baitcaster to left retrieve.  Oh the pinched nerve affects my right shoulder and arm.

Hey man, try throwing a fly, bucktail, or a jig under a float. Could be wood like a plug with hooks removed or a styrofoam float. You should be able to find a spot with some current and also some eddies where you can reel in some line slowly to retrieve, then open the bail to let it drift back near the initial zone, and repeat. In other words, you can repeatedly re-present or pause your offering in the general fishy places without casting a million times. 

Also, bait fishing. Boring to me anymore, but it’s way less total casting than equivalent time fishing artificials. 

Dont use a single shoulder strap to carry your fishing gear. Use a belt alone, or belt with strap as a combo. Belt with strap combo is so much better for my neck & shoulder. 

Similar issues

I have mild to moderate cervical stenosis. Confirmed via an MRI. Similar symptoms as others have mentioned. However, cramped up & weaker arms and hands being a bigger complaint for me. Doc said no more ice hockey, probably shouldn’t fish if the arms are going over my head. I am not giving up either one. Not much to do for it except surgery someday, avoiding aggravating activity, and to try to improve posture outside of my activities. Advice as follows:

1. try non surgical options best you can. Including shots which can’t hurt. 
  2. Try to avoid lifting things above your head. I was lifting heavy (for me) at the gym. I feel better with intermittent and core training anyway, so I gave up lifting. Especially upper body 
  3. Improve your posture to keep it from worsening.
  4. Related: Doctor should have said stay off your damn phone. Between pinching nerves in the elbows/wrists/hands, the phone constantly reinforces poor neck and head posture. I’m doing it now, damnit. 
  5. Watch your stress. I carry mine in my neck, traps, shoulders, upper back.

No mri yet.

Felt good enough to bowhunt sunday.  Got a teenager antlerless, but it was closent and calm.  Got some meat in the old kenmore.

Yeah, bait is gonna happen.  Will keep a surf caster with a bucktail handy.

I had recurring neck/shoulder/arm pain for about 4 years, thought it was pinched but the pain grew intense in my arm.  bulging discs turned to herniated.  Last November, could barely move without blazing pain.  Cortisone/focal block two shots in my cervical spine area helped huge for about 6 weeks.  If you have herniated discs, it only masks the problem for awhile.  Someday, you'll need surgery.  I had to discs replaced in February, between c5 & 6, 6 & 7.  By May, I was casting normally, pain free.  The relief is almost instant after surgery, only really two weeks of extra careful recovery.  Surgery was early morning, one night, then home.  A week of TV and pain meds, all set.  Funny thing, pretty sure the discs issues started in my early 20s, after we rear-ended some Irish guys that had stopped in the middle of the road after leaving the same Allman Brothers concert, late 80s.  Didn't keep me off the sand and rocks this season!   

20180928_202947.jpg

2 hours ago, golden said:

I had recurring neck/shoulder/arm pain for about 4 years, thought it was pinched but the pain grew intense in my arm.  bulging discs turned to herniated.  Last November, could barely move without blazing pain.  Cortisone/focal block two shots in my cervical spine area helped huge for about 6 weeks.  If you have herniated discs, it only masks the problem for awhile.  Someday, you'll need surgery.  I had to discs replaced in February, between c5 & 6, 6 & 7.  By May, I was casting normally, pain free.  The relief is almost instant after surgery, only really two weeks of extra careful recovery.  Surgery was early morning, one night, then home.  A week of TV and pain meds, all set.  Funny thing, pretty sure the discs issues started in my early 20s, after we rear-ended some Irish guys that had stopped in the middle of the road after leaving the same Allman Brothers concert, late 80s.  Didn't keep me off the sand and rocks this season!   

20180928_202947.jpg

Thanks for the great info golden. I’m so nervous about MRI results Sat. pm. Experiencing the same arm pain, and getting intense a time nightime. Hoping to avoid surgery, but definitely don’t want to have this be an ongoing issue. Sucks to get old.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:02 PM, The Riddler said:

Since August is way too long for a pinched nerve. See doctor for cortisone shot. 

/\ This

Plus way past time for a proper MRI....if you keep pushing it without knowing the underlying cause, you can be doing additional damage.

Oh, and get a set of utility suspenders like cops use, make sure your surf belt is well supported on both sides, not just with a strap. Any and all weight on your body needs to be evenly distributed.