banjer

All Arounder..Thoughts on a good auto loader 12ga

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As per the title.

Sold all my firearms when I moved back east, getting time to restock the safe.

1st acquisition will be a 12ga. I've shot and owned 870's, 1100's, and A-5's...But it's been almost 10years since I last gun shopped.

Seeking suggestions for an autoloader that can do a bit of everything: Sporting Clays, upland hunting, and Home D-in that order. 

Edited by banjer

Hi, I like Remi 1100's . I use a 1100 syn comp for trap. I use an O/U for sporting clays. I don't know how much you want to spend But it seems from what I read the Remi V3 with the wood stock is a winner. I also like the Beretta A 300 with a 30" bbl or the 28" for an all arounder. I would look at the Beretta first.

I have a TriStar Viper in 28 gauge that has been a great gun for the money. My son has the same gun in 12 gauge and it has been a very good all round gun for him They go for $500 - $600.

Thanks guys, my budget is pretty decent. I'll def look into Beretta/Benelli ..come to think of it I used a buddies loaner Stoeger  M3000 on a few Pheasant hunts.. liked it well enough and believe it had the same or similar bolt assembly as a Benelli 

6 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Hi, I like Remi 1100's . I use a 1100 syn comp for trap. I use an O/U for sporting clays. I don't know how much you want to spend But it seems from what I read the Remi V3 with the wood stock is a winner. I also like the Beretta A 300 with a 30" bbl or the 28" for an all arounder. I would look at the Beretta first.

Benellis are hunting guns no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise. I would get a gas operated gun..Less felt recoil is always a good thing for clay target games.The 1100 will do just fine for the average guy. Berettas are probably a bit better,but I never liked the larger pistol grip on the Italian guns,,still,they are still the most popular semi on the clay target circuit.Remington has the pistol grip size pretty much right,,unless you have a large hand. I would stick with a 28” bbl.,..On a semi auto,30” is very long in the field. A 28” bbl on a semi auto has plenty of sighting plane for longer shots on clays as well..about 3 inches of receiver length an O/U lacks.In clay target games like Sporties,and Skeet,,you have a predetermined flight path..so longer and heavier is advantageous,helps follow through. In the field,the opposite is true,so shorter and lighter will allow you to redirect your barrel easier..live birds can change direction,clays can’t.

hunter123 likes this

I have a good number of shotguns in my safes ,SXS O/U Pumps Autos but over the last twenty years I've taken my old Benelli M1 Super 90 on more hunts than any other except if I know it's a Hot Dove Shoot than I  have a 28 ga. O/U for that .

My Super 90 came to me as their LE Tactical gun 20' with mag extension and pistol grip stock  .

Didn't like the pistol grip after using it in some training , so than I ordered the regular stock and that the same time a 26'' bird barrel , Since then she has gone everywhere with me , I even found a nice Wood stock and forend so she wouldn't look Tactical on the clay fields .

I've handled and shot all the other Benelli Family guns and Stoger and Franchi and they use a similar Inertia recoil system they aren't the same thing , In fact they have changed designs a number of times were Benelli has only make minor updates and almost all have been to the stocks to lesson recoil .

You can pick up a used M1 or M2 for around 600.00 if you shop and probably sell it for that if you have to and not have lost money . Benelli's will always cost more and always have a demand

Remove home defense from your criteria and get a dedicated gun for that.

I've been looking at the Beretta A400 guns for clay games, my Beretta 390 has over 120K through it ;)  

:v:

FishnDucks likes this

Beneli's are great guns. But they recoil harder than a 1100 or A300 gas system , I'd go with an 1100 or A300 for the money.

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Beneli's are great guns. But they recoil harder than a 1100 or A300 gas system , I'd go with an 1100 or A300 for the money.

indeed,,the inertia system does not save you anything at your shoulder. Another thing to note,,the Benelli really excels in wet conditions.,they can almost function under water. A gas gun doesnt like very wet conditions. Benelli also has the reputation for being unbreakable,,but its not true. The reason its not often you hear of parts breakage is because its a hunting gun,and most hunters dont shoot very many shots. The true test is when they are used by guys who shoot the clay target circuit,,we are talking over 25,000 shots per year..thats how you really learn how reliable a gun is.

The 1100 is a tried and true classic. Love mine and would never dream of parting with it.

The Browning Auto 5 is another great reliable shooting gun but I find it to be a bit heavy so my son carries that one.

hunter123 and grumpy247 like this

You've got another vote for Beretta. I've got an older Urika 391 and absolutely love the thing. Mainly bought it for turkey hunting, but use it for everything (clays, small game birds, etc)

LBI SurfRat likes this

20 hours ago, gadwall8 said:

Remove home defense from your criteria and get a dedicated gun for that.

I've been looking at the Beretta A400 guns for clay games, my Beretta 390 has over 120K through it ;)  

:v:

Right on! Home defense requires a bit of a different shotgun. Shorter barrel for ease of movement and swing through a room with furniture and doorways. Pump action has always been my favorite. Auto's reload and in the heat of the moment an unwanted discharge can occur. A 22"-24" barrel with #4 buckshot through 00buck is perfect.

Shotguns for sporting clays and upland birds usually have 26-30" barrels and interchangeable choke systems to accommodate the shooting scenario i.e. close as in over a dog vs far as in 30-40 yard shots on clays etc.