Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clambellies

Any recommendations for a gunsmith who works on antique flintlocks?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Any recommendations for a gunsmith who works on antique flintlocks in the NE, preferrably Mass area?  I have a late 1700's German flintlock pistol and I'd like to have some work done on it.  Thanks.

44 mins ago, clambellies said:

Any recommendations for a gunsmith who works on antique flintlocks in the NE, preferrably Mass area?  I have a late 1700's German flintlock pistol and I'd like to have some work done on it.  Thanks.

Wouldn't having someone do work on an old piece like that hurt whatever value it may have? Sometimes it's just best to leave them as is. That gun may be  250 years old or older if made in the 1700's.

I'll check with Dixon.  Thanks for the info.  The work that needs to be done is the butt of the handle.  My dad brought the gun home Germany after WWII.  His unit was ordered to go house to house in the town where they were and confiscate all weapons.  Then the weapons were put in a pile in the road and a bulldozer drove over them crushing everything.  This pistol had the butt sheared off and he put it into his pack and brought it home.  About 30 years ago he had a local gunsmith replace the broken section of the handle but opted for a cheap repair and not having the needed brass trim.  I'd like it repaired closer to the original.