njsf25

I need a reel for TFO GIS SP 1102-2

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I just picked up a new TFO 11' .5 - 2.0oz rod.  Looking to pair with a nice, relatively in-expensive, reel.

My head is spinning.  Every time I think I've narrowed it down, I find something else.

This being my first lighter weight setup for throwing sp's and stuff, I'm also torn if I should go 30# or 40# braid route.

The rod is light, 11.4oz, so I want to keep the reel under 16oz max.

Slammer III 4500: 14.7oz : 250yds 30#: 30 drag

Daiwa BG 4000: 14.3oz: 280yds 30#, 200yds 40#: 17.6 drag

-- I like the 4500 better, but 22oz weight: 22 drag

Spinfisher 4500: 15.40oz: 200yds 30#

Anything else in the sub $250 range?

Reel weight on a 11ft rod might not as significant as you think.  If your rod is rated to 2 oz and you only use light stuff, what good does 30-40lb braid do you besides lost of casting distance.  If you fish the surf, get something with some sort of seal, if not, you get a reel without seal for alot cheaper.  Drag number is just for shows, I doubt you'll go over 10lb of drag with your setup. Check scoobydoo's review for more reel insights. ( tackle advisor on youtube ).  Off your list, the bg has the biggest gear = more torque when reeling.  Street price for the vanilla spinnfisher VI 4500 + handle upgrade to the slammer is not that significant, might as well get the full fledge slammer instead.

A 5000 Shimano Spheros comes to mind for a great all around budget reel that has some sealing. It would also handle the 30-40lb braid if you wanted.

sbcbmx112 likes this

take drag out of the equation right now.  even 10# of drag will pull you off your feet and you'll pull the hook out of the fish, break your rod, knots, swivels, reel seat, etc. with anything even close to the max drag on those reels.  Heck, they don't even use 30 pound of drag on blue marlin.  

You guys make a good point, the best thing I did for my fluke game was going lighter tackle across the board.

Lighter rod, tranx 400, and 17lb braid.  It's helped me really dial in the fluke last few summers.

This setup I'm talking now is strictly surf.  I'm currently using an older Penn Battle 2, but it's served me well.  

I'm watching some tackle advisors reviews right now! thanks!

4 hours ago, njsf25 said:

So I just picked up a new TFO 11' .5 - 2.0oz rod.  Looking to pair with a nice, relatively in-expensive, reel.

My head is spinning.  Every time I think I've narrowed it down, I find something else.

This being my first lighter weight setup for throwing sp's and stuff, I'm also torn if I should go 30# or 40# braid route.

The rod is light, 11.4oz, so I want to keep the reel under 16oz max.

Slammer III 4500: 14.7oz : 250yds 30#: 30 drag

Daiwa BG 4000: 14.3oz: 280yds 30#, 200yds 40#: 17.6 drag

-- I like the 4500 better, but 22oz weight: 22 drag

Spinfisher 4500: 15.40oz: 200yds 30#

Anything else in the sub $250 range?

For that size rod, i would go with a bigger reel.  The reels you mentioned are too small for that size rod.  Slammer 3 5500 would be the minimum size.

30 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

For that size rod, i would go with a bigger reel.  The reels you mentioned are too small for that size rod.  Slammer 3 5500 would be the minimum size.

Did you read the weight rating for the rod?

its a LIGHT 11' stick rated up to 2oz, not 2-6oz....

length aside, what reel would you use to throw 1.5oz.-2oz?

To the OP, have a look at Scooby's post regarding the Ballistic LT6000

1 hour ago, Evil-Bay said:

What about the length of a rod determines the correct size reel someone should be using?

First Of all, .5 to 2 oz at 11 feet isn’t a set up for targeting bigger fish or fishing in heavy current. I’d plan on my go-to line being 20lbs with maybe a backup of 30 lbs if I’m fishing around rocks. If I didn’t know anything else I’d size my reel based on that. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/7/2018 at 5:18 PM, Jerseygofish said:

Seeing as this thread pretty much outlined all the ones I was looking at, went to my local store today and played with a ton of reels; slammer, spinfisher, few daiwa, few shimano (I love my tranx 400 on my fluke \ sea bass setup.) 

decided on the slammer iii 4500. I love the solid metal feel it has. The bail has a great “mechanical” feel you know like a well made shotgun receiver. Just had that “feel”. Spooled it up with 30# suffix 832. Doing 30 as I do plug around jetty’s often. Can’t wait to try her out this weekend!!

Edited by TimS
I edited the quote as we don’t allow buying or selling in this forum :-)