Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kbetts

Anyone shooting a .450 BM?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Legal in my state as a "pistol" cartridge.  Slug guns will become near extinct I believe.  Anyone switched over?  I've got a Ruger American Go Wild coming.

Slug gun use will be limited from here on out.  Bore sighted in the house, on paper right away at 30 yards.  Moved to 50 and made a couple of adjustments.  My first two shots at 100 were in the same hole.  I'm not a very good rifle shooter either.  Love this thing.

IMG_20181120_174137742.jpg

Delaware.  We have a lot of crop damage tags to fill.  Did a lot of research.  Originally I was going to go with a CVA Scout V2 in .44 mag.  You can get them for around $300 and have awesome reviews. Then I learned of the .450.  CVA makes one in stainless as well and it is a very nice, economical gun.  Cheaper to shoot than a slug gun in either caliber and easy on the shoulder.  Both CVA and Ruger come standard with muzzle brakes so they are a tad loud.  Ruger makes a 16” barrel version that weighs under 6#.

Came down to wanting the ammo capacity and the tan Cercote barrel and action.  The Go Wild version I bought came with a 22” barrel and the cosmetic goodies.  I’m a cheap SOB but thoroughly pleased.

I’ll add some better pics.  No one had responded to the thread so figured not much known or no interest.

Edited by Kbetts

Cool. Good stuff. Best of luck with it. 

You have a farm? Lease? 

I always see some dandy bucks coming out of Delaware. 

My folks spent a few years down there but I never got around to scouting/hunting it. 

It's legal in Iowa now too and I thought about getting one. My right shoulder is not great though and I had surgery on it last year and was worried about the recoil. You say the recoil is not bad? This year I hunted with a Marlin .44 Mag lever gun, which is fine, but the .450 BM has better ballistics past 100 yd for sure.

The recoil is pretty light out of my gun.  I’m sure the 16” version is snappy.  Recoil is much less than a slug gun.  Less than a 20 gauge I feel.  I’m sure the CVA with 25” barrel and extra 1.5# would barely move off of the shooting bags.

I hunt a private farm mostly.  Been there my whole life.  The old man passed away a few years ago but gave my Dad, brother, me and our kids a place to hunt while we’re still on the earth.  Best gift ever.

If I could use straight cartridge in Jersey I may go old school. 

Rossi/puma in 454 casull. Get the stainless version. Shoot iron sights. 

Can also shoot 45 long Colt in it if you wanted too. 

Congrats on the access to the farm. That is every hunters dream. I'm always looking for a good place/lease here in Jersey. Tough to find. Either too exspensive, too crowded, or too small. I always end up going back to public land. Still aggravating but free. Lol. 

Nick

17 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

If I could use straight cartridge in Jersey I may go old school. 

Rossi/puma in 454 casull. Get the stainless version. Shoot iron sights. 

Can also shoot 45 long Colt in it if you wanted too. 

Congrats on the access to the farm. That is every hunters dream. I'm always looking for a good place/lease here in Jersey. Tough to find. Either too exspensive, too crowded, or too small. I always end up going back to public land. Still aggravating but free. Lol. 

Nick

I have that rifle but haven't used it yet for hunting.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, Kbetts said:

Delaware.  We have a lot of crop damage tags to fill.  Did a lot of research.  Originally I was going to go with a CVA Scout V2 in .44 mag.  You can get them for around $300 and have awesome reviews. Then I learned of the .450.  CVA makes one in stainless as well and it is a very nice, economical gun.  Cheaper to shoot than a slug gun in either caliber and easy on the shoulder.  Both CVA and Ruger come standard with muzzle brakes so they are a tad loud.  Ruger makes a 16” barrel version that weighs under 6#.

Came down to wanting the ammo capacity and the tan Cercote barrel and action.  The Go Wild version I bought came with a 22” barrel and the cosmetic goodies.  I’m a cheap SOB but thoroughly pleased.

I’ll add some better pics.  No one had responded to the thread so figured not much known or no interest.

I may get the CVA in 450 Bushmaster. I was interested in the gun in 35 Whelen but the 450 BM sounds better.

That CVA is a hot ticket next door to me in Alabama , They can use any single shot with a straight wall caliber 45 or larger During the Muzzle loading season  , The old H&R's in 45-70 ,500 S&W were Gold ,Ruger#1 45-70 and 458Win , Sharp's too . It's strange but that's how they roll .