PSUFly

Christmas Family Auction Fly "Swap"

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Just an idea...I saw the guys in the plug building forum are donating plugs to benefit the Christmas Family Auctions here on SOL.  There had been a fly swap a while back and the flies ended up being sold as a lot to benefit charity (I actually ended up buying them, nice flies :) )  Would there be any interest in doing that again?  Each person could tie a few flies, and they could all be auctioned together.  My fly tying skills are pretty elementary compared to most of you guys, but I could tie up some decent flies and would volunteer to take care of getting the flies to the winning bidder.

paulsoncall likes this

Me too! Love to tie but I have little reason to do so but now I've got an excuse to have some fun, the fact that it's for a good cause makes it all the better. What sorts of flies are we tying?

3 hours ago, RedGreen said:

What sorts of flies are we tying?

Good question...like I said, my skills are nowhere near yours and others on here, so my flies will be a little more simple.  I was just thinking an assortment for stripers/blues/albies.  

Stonefish, I've seen your flies posted in the forum and I think they would work well out here on the east coast also, so whatever you want to tie is fine.  

I am trying to figure out when the flies would need to be ready by, but I think we have a good amount of time.  

Stonefish likes this

10 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

castishoot me a PM woth an address and I'll send you some for the charity. No swap just a straight gift for the cause. 

Hey Salty,

Yeah that's what the plan was - I guess maybe I shouldn't have called it a fly swap.  I was figuring everyone tie up some flies, send it to one person, then the flies would be auctioned off to benefit the Christmas family. 

saltyh2ofly likes this

Ok, so I got in touch with Southcoastphil who does a lot of the work in organizing these auctions...I'm going to say if we could have the flies ready by like the first weekend in December (12/1) or maybe a few days after.  I would just take pictures of everything and get it to him by 12/6 in order for him to post the auction thread. 

Let me know if that works for everyone.  There's no set limit on how many flies each member should tie, or how many people can join, I'm sure anything will be appreciated.

Count me in too! Any sort of flies, or should we focus on whatever we want? I was thinking of doing flatwings or flies where you can't easily find them without tying yourself, to help add more appeal to the auction. 

21 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Good question...like I said, my skills are nowhere near yours and others on here, so my flies will be a little more simple.  I was just thinking an assortment for stripers/blues/albies.  

Stonefish, I've seen your flies posted in the forum and I think they would work well out here on the east coast also, so whatever you want to tie is fine.  

I am trying to figure out when the flies would need to be ready by, but I think we have a good amount of time.  

Sounds good.

I'll tie up some flies I think will get eaten by some right coast fish with maybe a left coast spin on them.

SF

16 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Count me in too! Any sort of flies, or should we focus on whatever we want? I was thinking of doing flatwings or flies where you can't easily find them without tying yourself, to help add more appeal to the auction. 

Yeah, whatever you want really.  Flatwings would be good as they're a great pattern for stripers, but like you said, you can't really find them to purchase. 

18 hours ago, drunkenwanderer said:

Can count me in for salt or large freshwater patterns.

Sounds good - saltwater patterns is probably a good option (although I use some of my saltwater stuff for larger smallmouth, so I guess they can be somewhat interchangeable).