adams54

Need ideas netting bait MoCo

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So this weekend is supposed to be nice and I would like to take my nephew fishing outfront. He's younger and a really good kid so I want him to have fun which means I would like to try and put him on some fish. I dont think he's ready for the plugging for a few hours and getting skunked just yet. So I think my best bet will be netting and live lining some bait. All the thick clouds of happy bait have disappeared out front. And since that is where I spend all my time fishing I dont know where else to look. Does anyone have any spots in back of MoCo where I can find bait? If spot burning precise locations is a concern could you PM me some ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sometimes making bait and keeping them alive is a project in itself.  Why not pick up some bunker and chunk?  You got a shot at a big fish and if not the skates/doggies will keep the kid busy.

Any marina is worth a look

Or just pick up a few fresh bunker from the shop and chunk em up

Unless you're on a boat, throwing a plug is a lot easier to master than live lining, 

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Any marina is worth a look

Or just pick up a few fresh bunker from the shop and chunk em up

Unless you're on a boat, throwing a plug is a lot easier to master than live lining, 

Theres a few marinas I can check out. Anything else I need to know when scoping out a marina for bait? Whats the best time of day? If there is no visible bait but the water is murky is it worth casting the net to see if I get anything? I have a 6' net 3/8 mesh 1lb per ft

I'm the wrong person to ask as I'm never out in the daylight but mid-tide dropping is usually best as the water isn't as deep and the fish are easier to see and catch (they can't hold as deep where they can't be seen or dive under the net as easily)

Use a light that isn't very strong so you don't spook the bait. The second you spot the bait turn the light off and throw. Always try to throw from behind them, or at least whenever possible. Some of the faster fish like tinkers and smarter critters like squid, will spook the moment they see the net so that extra split second you gain by throwing from behind them can add a few extra baits to a cast.

And whatever you do, don't walk in front of lights throwing a moving shadow over spots where the bait might be hanging, spooks em every time

And remember, throwing blind can be risky if you don't know the bottom, pretty easy to lose or wreck a net if it hangs up. 

Edited by Sudsy