Fishy4335

Bass Keyed in on Peanuts.....

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2018 at 6:50 AM, Kooky said:

Bunker tsunami swim shad, fished low and slow below the bait school.  they really seemed to like when it bumps the bottom.

91352EC2-2C9D-46ED-83C7-D79D4064215E.jpeg

nice match the hatch:)

On 11/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, Sandbar1 said:

Not necessarily a solution but this fall when peanuts where in thick and bass were finicky I could almost always get a bite on the 5" mag darter, either in bone, bronze or ghost black. In fact the 5" mag darter took more bass for me this fall than any other plug.

These are 5 inch:) the action is sick:) there name "5 inch Peanut bunker"

P9060149.JPG

14 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

really have filleted many bass over 30 inches that were stuffed with peanuts,35 inch 19lb bass stuffed with about 3lbs of peanuts from about 3 weeks ago

fillet.jpg

Called my uncle for clarification on this and it was " any big bass around 30 pounds and up, the big girls"  Not 30" that was my mistake.  He worked on commercials back in the 80s and 90s.  

codfish,as you know we both fish pretty much the same area,and the amount of peanuts was crazy.For me at from the beach the 5 inch peanut you posted did not catch any where near the way the Al gags did.what Tim pointed out about the weight of the head is what made the differance.when i used the Bill Hurley tail on a 3/8 head or 1/4 head it made a world of differance

34 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

codfish,as you know we both fish pretty much the same area,and the amount of peanuts was crazy.For me at from the beach the 5 inch peanut you posted did not catch any where near the way the Al gags did.what Tim pointed out about the weight of the head is what made the differance.when i used the Bill Hurley tail on a 3/8 head or 1/4 head it made a world of differance

Thanks for sharing:)

On 11/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, HugeDinghy said:

white other than whats already been said…..guppy lil' p in pearl & 2 oz white jetty caster  (key being good amount of hair and specifically- no trailer of any kind)

I'm on this one. Agree 100%. Only thing I would recommend as a variant is throw a bucktail that has an extended profile and some flash. Needs to be about the size of the bait and retrieve it very erratically. Not necessarily fast but big rod movements. Never found a peanut run I had trouble with but I'm particular with the bucktail I use. If you want the name, PM me. Can't promote here.

nice

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I thought I had it figured out last week, tins, small tails, swim shads. 

This week peanuts seemed smaller and fish more picky. This is one I snagged. 

20181108_162544.jpg

Nice thanks for sharing

On 11/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, Fishy4335 said:

I threw small baby popper, small Bucktail with pork rind and without, small tin, little shad, little imitation peanut swimmers and bass still will not hit. They are keyed in on the peanut bunker and will only attack the live bait. Anybody else solve this?

Try a Youzuri mag darter , 5” jointed red fin , 3” Cocahoe minnow on a 1/2 oz. jig head. 

B3F9B9EF-A3CB-4156-BDCC-4701BD280215.jpeg

FAD8B4BE-9DFC-4BD9-BA60-6B383570C6F0.jpeg

EFE0D4B2-8761-4543-8F41-71CE4BD25C33.jpeg

Sounds like a similar bite to our early spring. Try jigging small soft plastics (3.5-5”) or adding a small teaser a foot or so up from your main plug on a dropper loop

igomez likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, TimS said:

Sounds like you are fishing in the daylight. Don't get hung up on trying to match the hatch in terms of color/lifelike patterns - that's a trout thing more so than a striped bass thing. You'd be better served matching the profile and more importantly the action of a hurt, separated peanut bunker. The lifelike bunker looking wildeye and swimshads are great when you are NOT fishing in a school of peanuts because the profile reminds them of something they've eaten recently...and they are opportunistic...so they see something they recognize as a potential prey item and see it struggling along the bottom, they may be inclined to take a shot at it.  Everything changes when you are fishing in a school of peanuts - the bass aren't trying to match prey items in their memory looking for an opportunity to feed - they are looking for injured prey among the multitudes of healthy prey.  And that's a good thing - they already assume anything with the profile of a peanut is a peanut...you just need to make it act believably hurt and easy to catch. This is when a light ball jig and 4" Finsfish can be wonderful - you don't want it to sink like a rock like a 'swimshad', you want it to linger and twitch and sink slowly. Better than the light ball jig and Finsfish is a slab fly...not something you can fish without a fly rod unfortunately...but bass eating peanuts are easily convinced that a slab fly is a hurt peanut. It's got the right profile...and it sinks slowly and head first...like a hurt peanut...a slab fly is so incredibly effective fished right in with the peanuts the bass are eating that I haven't found any plug or jig that can even come close :o

Another thing you can do to improve the number of bites you get in that situation is wait until you see a fish blow up in the bait - and land your very slow sinking jig or fly right in the hole they made. Bass will always turn around immediately after a blow up to pick up any stunned/hurt stragglers. It really helps sell your jig/fly if they turn around and see something they can convince themselves is a peanut they stunned :th:

TimS

The blow up then quick cast thing did work, that's when I had got the few fish I did..... weird, I tried to match the size profile and got a few bumps.... I also took the lightest treble I had and snagged the peanut then put hook through tail and threw out and let it flap on top reeled as slow as the Dickens and didn't work ( I had a 35lbr last year doing that)

Edited by Fishy4335