Fishy4335

Bass Keyed in on Peanuts.....

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I tie a bucktail for the peanut scenario mentioned, 3/4 and 1 oz  a 360 wrap of bunker flashabou under with a pretty full white buck , silver thread and the head sprayed with chrome engine paint. the flash and profile USUALLY works, if not a BIG white metal lip.

A white zoom fluke on a weighted swimbait hook will usually work well. Twitch and pause. Increase the pause length until it gets bit. 

Have experienced this same situation and no matter what I threw trying to match the bait (3” peanuts) not a sniff!!  Worked the water column from top to bottom with a variety of plugs, tins, jigs, all of them appropriately sized.  Switched to a chicken scratch bomber at a slow to medium retrieve, and caught till my arms were done!  Not a close match at all, but for whatever reason, it fit the bill when nothing else had.  

10 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

I threw small baby popper, small Bucktail with pork rind and without, small tin, little shad, little imitation peanut swimmers and bass still will not hit. They are keyed in on the peanut bunker and will only attack the live bait. Anybody else solve this?

Most likely small bass keyed in on peanuts. My uncle always says he has filteted hundreds of bass over the years and never once found a peanut in a bass over 30”. 

7 hours ago, jsbergen said:

Most likely small bass keyed in on peanuts. My uncle always says he has filteted hundreds of bass over the years and never once found a peanut in a bass over 30”. 

Exactly. :th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d toss the biggest plug/topwater swimmer in my bag with a teaser up front .. big splash landing from the plug draws attention to something chasing the teaser ...

AA7AAF1B-E923-4E09-B4E3-2114CA7FFC5F.jpeg

Edited by charles s

Sometimes when it’s a few fish on a chit ton of bait they only way to get it done is swim some live nuts .. light leader and small treble or if cast netting them small single hook ..  I like to bring my hooked bunk right into middle of school and give a tug.. nuts will part like the Red Sea leaving your lone struggling bunk in the void in the middle .. usually gets the bite 

4 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Sometimes when it’s a few fish on a chit ton of bait they only way to get it done is swim some live nuts .. light leader and small treble or if cast netting them small single hook ..  I like to bring my hooked bunk right into middle of school and give a tug.. nuts will part like the Red Sea leaving your lone struggling bunk in the void in the middle .. usually gets the bite 

English plesse

On 11/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, Sandbar1 said:

Not necessarily a solution but this fall when peanuts where in thick and bass were finicky I could almost always get a bite on the 5" mag darter, either in bone, bronze or ghost black. In fact the 5" mag darter took more bass for me this fall than any other plug.

+1...Mag Darter never came off my 9' and my gold/black with yellow bottom pencil almost lived on my 10'...when i couldnt get a bite i switched to a black/gold bucktail.  And then i would snag and drop when all else failed...

Sounds like you are fishing in the daylight. Don't get hung up on trying to match the hatch in terms of color/lifelike patterns - that's a trout thing more so than a striped bass thing. You'd be better served matching the profile and more importantly the action of a hurt, separated peanut bunker. The lifelike bunker looking wildeye and swimshads are great when you are NOT fishing in a school of peanuts because the profile reminds them of something they've eaten recently...and they are opportunistic...so they see something they recognize as a potential prey item and see it struggling along the bottom, they may be inclined to take a shot at it.  Everything changes when you are fishing in a school of peanuts - the bass aren't trying to match prey items in their memory looking for an opportunity to feed - they are looking for injured prey among the multitudes of healthy prey.  And that's a good thing - they already assume anything with the profile of a peanut is a peanut...you just need to make it act believably hurt and easy to catch. This is when a light ball jig and 4" Finsfish can be wonderful - you don't want it to sink like a rock like a 'swimshad', you want it to linger and twitch and sink slowly. Better than the light ball jig and Finsfish is a slab fly...not something you can fish without a fly rod unfortunately...but bass eating peanuts are easily convinced that a slab fly is a hurt peanut. It's got the right profile...and it sinks slowly and head first...like a hurt peanut...a slab fly is so incredibly effective fished right in with the peanuts the bass are eating that I haven't found any plug or jig that can even come close :o

Another thing you can do to improve the number of bites you get in that situation is wait until you see a fish blow up in the bait - and land your very slow sinking jig or fly right in the hole they made. Bass will always turn around immediately after a blow up to pick up any stunned/hurt stragglers. It really helps sell your jig/fly if they turn around and see something they can convince themselves is a peanut they stunned :th:

TimS

6 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

really have filleted many bass over 30 inches that were stuffed with peanuts,35 inch 19lb bass stuffed with about 3lbs of peanuts from about 3 weeks ago

fillet.jpg

Yup...caught many bass well over 30" that were actively eating peanuts - I don't fillet many bass but these dudes were guilty of eating peanuts beyond any reasonable doubt :)  Bass eat what's around...if there are hungry bass around - and they encounter a school of peanuts in a situation where they are vulnerable...they are gonna eat them. 

TimS