Fishy4335

Bass Keyed in on Peanuts.....

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I threw small baby popper, small Bucktail with pork rind and without, small tin, little shad, little imitation peanut swimmers and bass still will not hit. They are keyed in on the peanut bunker and will only attack the live bait. Anybody else solve this?

Not necessarily a solution but this fall when peanuts where in thick and bass were finicky I could almost always get a bite on the 5" mag darter, either in bone, bronze or ghost black. In fact the 5" mag darter took more bass for me this fall than any other plug.

Just now, Fishy4335 said:

I threw small baby popper, small Bucktail with pork rind and without, small tin, little shad, little imitation peanut swimmers and bass still will not hit. They are keyed in on the peanut bunker and will only attack the live bait. Anybody else solve this?

I had this same problem in a back bay spot, I could see them hitting peanuts so I threw a 4 inch storm shad which matches them exactly and I still couldn't get them to touch it. Not sure if it was because there was a lot of bait and only a few fish or what the problem was.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bunker tsunami swim shad, fished low and slow below the bait school.  they really seemed to like when it bumps the bottom.

91352EC2-2C9D-46ED-83C7-D79D4064215E.jpeg

Edited by Kooky
blacklabnh likes this

Hogy Peanut Jig either size 

Hogy 1.25 oz 4.25" Pro Tails, silver or peanut bunker. These are heavy for their size and cast really well. I had days last year when this (or the 2 oz 5.5") was all they would take. 

Mag darter saved my season this year, in gold. Might also try 2-4 oz Kastmaster, as it seems you can always fool some bass on these and they cast a mile. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

white other than whats already been said…..guppy lil' p in pearl & 2 oz white jetty caster  (key being good amount of hair and specifically- no trailer of any kind)

Edited by HugeDinghy

Sounds like you covered the bases pretty well with the lure selection you tried.  Only thing I could add is maybe a small 1oz glider.

all good suggestions.

only thing i could add is it could be that you are working it too fast, or sometimes there is just way too much peanuts and not enough bass.

in the surf, you can basically dead stick a swim shad under peanuts and get hit if there is enough water movement. "if you're bored, you're fishing it too fast." 

Ive had success using either Tsunami or Storm bunker like shads when bass are honed in on the peanuts.  Like Kooky said, let it float to the bottom and more times then none, they will hit it.