keeslynch

Which of these rods for small/medium sharks from surf?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yo,

I want to get into shark fishing from the surf for small/medium sharks, 4/6 feet. I need to get a rod, but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want to spend more than $100. I was looking on Tackle Direct and after filtering surf rods to being 10-12 feet long w/ medium-heavy to heavy power, I came down to this list:

 

- Penn Prevail 11 foot

- Penn Prevail 12 foot

- Star Aerial 11 foot

- Ugly Stik Bigwater 11 foot

- Tsunami trophy surf rod 11 foot (it's normally $130 but right now it's on sale for $90)

- Daiwa Emcast

- Daiwa Emblem 11 foot

 

Any opinion on which one is best or any idea of another rod that can hurl baits and lead out into the surf and handle some big fish?

Thanks gents

Edited by keeslynch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wanna keep things at (or under) $100...id suggest looking at the 10' Tsunami Trophy MH spin (i know you mentioned the 11'...but, IMO, that's overkill unless breaking waves are an issue...but at that length--its just not necessary)......10' is still crazy easy to cast a mile & PLENTY of rod for the smaller sharks your talking about...and for the price ($99), it's hard to beat. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keeslynch said:

Yo,

I want to get into shark fishing from the surf for small/medium sharks, 4/6 feet. I need to get a rod, but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want to spend more than $100. I was looking on Tackle Direct and after filtering surf rods to being 10-12 feet long w/ medium-heavy to heavy power, I came down to this list:

 

- Penn Prevail 11 foot

- Penn Prevail 12 foot

- Star Aerial 11 foot

- Ugly Stik Bigwater 11 foot

- Tsunami trophy surf rod 11 foot (it's normally $130 but right now it's on sail for $90)

- Daiwa Emcast

- Daiwa Emblem 11 foot

 

Any opinion on which one is best or any idea of another rod that can hurl baits and lead out into the surf and handle some big fish?

Thanks gents

I definetly would not go with the ugly stik big water, I have had many problems with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mauru said:

If you wanna keep things at (or under) $100...id suggest looking at the 10' Tsunami Trophy MH spin (i know you mentioned the 11'...but, IMO, that's overkill unless breaking waves are an issue...but at that length--its just not necessary)......10' is still crazy easy to cast a mile & PLENTY of rod for the smaller sharks your talking about...and for the price ($99), it's hard to beat. 

 

 

I'm hesitant to get the 10 foot because the line rating is only 15-30 lb and the lure rating only goes up to 6 oz. I don't want to sound like I'm not trusting you because I do but you're sure it'll be able to handle big baits and 6-foot sharks? I don't wanna spend money on a rod just to have it break on a fish/cast. Thanks for the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, keeslynch said:

I'm hesitant to get the 10 foot because the line rating is only 15-30 lb and the lure rating only goes up to 6 oz. I don't want to sound like I'm not trusting you because I do but you're sure it'll be able to handle big baits and 6-foot sharks? I don't wanna spend money on a rod just to have it break on a fish/cast. Thanks for the input.

Kee...

 

no problem. But--if you feel you might get into something bigger (past 6'....7-8ft...things change tremendously)...we catch ALOT of sharks down here...95% of the time it's small/medium blacktips, spinners and bonnets...4ft range....SOMEtimes 5...and we use 9M & 9MH...i wouldnt be as concerned about line rating if your leader is sound (we use 25lb test on the spool.....casts ALOT further (baits thrown = 1/3 of jack, 1/2 big mullet, etc)--and with 5-7ft of leader + wire, we RARELY break one....maybe 1 outta 10? and that's usually when its a big nurse...so no lost sleep)

 

If youre more comfortable with 11' however, i say do it--but it wont make much of a difference regarding "strength of the pole"...but it might give you peace of mind casting--which i cant blame you for wanting. 

 

Good luck out there, buddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run the battalion 11’ casting rod cause I don’t like a rod too broom sticky.. the 12’s more of a heaver  ... I normally tossing a standard issue sized bunker chunk and 5oz ..  and with penn fathom 12 50lbs braid and it handled 100s of browns up to about 100lbs and sand tigers tickling 300 and every type of evil ray you can think ...  worth the few extra bucks over the prevail for the fugi guides ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I run the battalion 11’ casting rod cause I don’t like a rod too broom sticky.. the 12’s more of a heaver  ... I normally tossing a standard issue sized bunker chunk and 5oz ..  and with penn fathom 12 50lbs braid and it handled 100s of browns up to about 100lbs and sand tigers tickling 300 and every type of evil ray you can think ...  worth the few extra bucks over the prevail for the fugi guides ..

Rite there in your avatar with Z wenchin one in.  

Good rod.  Got to give mine some more air time next year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup he be right ..thats the 11’ battalion in the avatard hooked up on a shark .... like said I like a rod that bends .. still loads of power though .. 

ECBEB034-63D0-4886-8358-FA8977BBBE7A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mauru said:

Kee...

 

no problem. But--if you feel you might get into something bigger (past 6'....7-8ft...things change tremendously)...we catch ALOT of sharks down here...95% of the time it's small/medium blacktips, spinners and bonnets...4ft range....SOMEtimes 5...and we use 9M & 9MH...i wouldnt be as concerned about line rating if your leader is sound (we use 25lb test on the spool.....casts ALOT further (baits thrown = 1/3 of jack, 1/2 big mullet, etc)--and with 5-7ft of leader + wire, we RARELY break one....maybe 1 outta 10? and that's usually when its a big nurse...so no lost sleep)

 

If youre more comfortable with 11' however, i say do it--but it wont make much of a difference regarding "strength of the pole"...but it might give you peace of mind casting--which i cant blame you for wanting. 

 

Good luck out there, buddy

Thanks sooo much. This helps a lot. Based on this I think I'll go for the 10 foot because it's a little more convenient and cheaper. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kee’s

when getting started into thus type of fishing and choosing a Rod I think there is one very important thing that is usually overlooked. That is, How  does the Rod fight a fish? I typically drum fish with a 13' Rod, and a 6' shark on that stiff, fast action will really take its toll on you. Like Wire for Fire stated" that 11' Rod that will bend" will wear the fish out and be easier on you during long fights. Just something to consider, good luck with whatever you choos.  Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Ksjohnson said:

Kee’s

when getting started into thus type of fishing and choosing a Rod I think there is one very important thing that is usually overlooked. That is, How  does the Rod fight a fish? I typically drum fish with a 13' Rod, and a 6' shark on that stiff, fast action will really take its toll on you. Like Wire for Fire stated" that 11' Rod that will bend" will wear the fish out and be easier on you during long fights. Just something to consider, good luck with whatever you choos.  Scott

A rod that bends might be for a more fun fight and wesr the fish out but if youre doing cnr which is with most sharks, that extra time spent fighting the fish isnt worth it in the long run with the chances itll kill the fish and add on top of that the time spent out of the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the parabolic Rod that bends well actually helps wear the fish out faster, with less wear on the angler.  Not talking about an underpowered Rod for the job, just one that fights fish well.  Leave my sharks in the water by the way, Ravens

Edited by Ksjohnson
Added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would def not get 10 foot. You'll lose casting distance.

 

11-12 foot heavy 

 

one of my best shark rods is a 12 foot heavy ugly stick that I chopped 8" off and retipped. Casts much better and has handled 8.5' sharks. 

 

Dont skimp on the reel though. 8000 class or better with a solid drag.

 

when I hook a shark, I want to land it- no exceptions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.