Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roostahfish

Puerto Rico Tarpon Fishin

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I know this is a FL forum, but figured it was worth a shot in asking about tarpon fishing in Puerto Rico.

Just looking for advice on what to bring since we've booked out winter vacation here.  I plan on doing a charter or two, but being a total fishing fool, I'll bring rods, reels, and way too many lures down with me too so I can fish the beaches/other opportunities that present themselves.

Wondering what pound leader I should rig with for throwing small plastics and hardbaits/topwaters.  Do I need to put a piece of 80# at the end to prevent chafe for tarpon?  Would straight 30 or 40# be enough for tarpon, but too much for snook?

I plan on bringing 3 piece travel rods with 4000 - 5000 sized reels, spooled with 20-50# braid.  Along with small DOA's, crystal minnow / hard swim baits, mirrolures, small spooks, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Great Tarpon fishing over there in Puerto Rico during the winter months...not so winterish but perfect for both residential Tarpon as well as some big cruisers. Water temps keep them contained and active over there. Water is crystal clear, fish are very on/off but when they eat, they eat well. Might want to look into some of the Hogy products. I do well with those in the clear water, places like the Keys. Tarpon will nail those lures, paddle tails and big swimmers. They hit hard baits when it's dark, small or large, depending on the bait around and their size. Leader up. I usually run 60lb floro leader as a minimum standard. If targeting the bigger fish or happen along a pod with giant fish, then go 80 to 100. I only use floro leader because Tarpon have big eyes and see extremely well. Guides down there know about the fish, their immediate location, back bays and many other secluded areas that have activity. You may "jump" a bunch of them before you actually hookup solid to one. Just the way it is. They don't call them Silver Kings for nothing LoL.

Thanks for the reply...believe me, I'm very familiar with the jumped to landed ratio.

At this point I'm probably 3 for 30....and two of those 3 were under 5 pounds.  

I have a few Hogy Pro-Tails in the pile of lures already.

Jumping them is part of the learning curve to get a good sense on how to stick them. Smaller fish tend to be easier to hook than the larger ones, but the smaller fish can be out of the water much longer. When you get into fish over hundred pounds, the real fun begins! 

Tarpon action was wild this year down here on the SE coast of Florida, lots of beach and inlet action with lots of landed fish. You should do well over on the island. Will be in the deep Keys myself getting into more of them this weekend. Tons down there.

Best of luck to ya!