JRT

10wt Hardy Zephrus SWS vs Orvis Helios 3D

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with these rods? I need an 10wt for lifting pelagics and throwing bigger flies/poppers for Stripers/Redfish etc.

I'm based in the UK so whilst we can get Scott and Sage etc the warranty process is pretty poor compared to what you get in the US. So its Hardy or Orvis for me.

Thanks

Edited by JRT

JRT

I have handled the Hardy Sintrix . Not sure if the Zephrus replaced it. Very impressive and worthy of your consideration. They are probably under rated so need care in selection.

F1 is one of the guys you need to chime in and local66 I think.

Mike

Obviously Hardy Sintrix technology rods are strong but they are quite heavy when their price is considered. The bend load test video I have watched for Helios 3 is impressive.

Esa

I did fish with a proaxis a few times but found it heavy and didn't care for the action. The zephrus is supposed to be a lot lighter  with a crisper action. I will try one at some point but I just wanted any to get first hand opinions.

Haven't cast the Hardy, but have 2 H3D 10w (and 2 8ws). They're ridiculously light and powerful. The 8ws haven't had a problem with even larger 8" hollow fleyes and stripers up to 37". The 10ws have been easily casting 14" beast fleyes and haven't had a problem with either stripers or albies. The 10w feels almost like you're casting a 9w and the 8ws feel like you're casting a 6w, they're all so much lighter than the other rods I've handled.

I dont post too much here anymore but I figured I have something to add here. I worked at a shop this summer that had a strong quiver of higher end rods for sale. T&T, scott, winston, orvis etc. The orvis H3 is in my opinion the best rod out there. It is so light, fast but it's not a broomstick, I'm not even sure how to describe it but its an excellent rod and I casted most of the weights versus equally spendy competitors and I would choose the H3 any day.

Said shop also stopped carrying hardy a few years ago due to awful customer service ever since pure fishing bought them. Orvis is great, $65 for a new/fixed rod and they pay shipping both ways. Only negative I would say about their repairs is that you're looking at an easy 6-8 week repair time, but every USA made rod company is that slow or slower on repairs (for example, Scott was around 3-4 months in my experience). Easy fix to this is to have a cheaper imported backup like an echo or tfo that they'll replace in a week for $35.

Get the orvis rod, you won't regret it.

I must say that perhaps I was wrong what comes to newer Sintrix blank weights. My first Sintrix technology 6wt SH rod is not light but newer Sintrix 330 and 400 blanks are more advanced.

Esa

I've had the pleasure of fishing with several Helios models and they are outstanding.  That said, I've used Hardy rods for years...in fresh and salt...and they suit me well when they're up-lined.  I should also say that the service I've had from Hardy has been first rate.

Edited by BillA

I had 1 experience with a Hardy Pro-axis that involved their customer service and it was a great experience.

I own a Zephrus 9 wt and 4 wt and it gives me no reason to want something else.

I own 2 Orvis Recons and love them, too, but no Helios experience.

Test drive and pick the tool that best fits your style.

16 hours ago, matt_man said:

I dont post too much here anymore but I figured I have something to add here. I worked at a shop this summer that had a strong quiver of higher end rods for sale. T&T, scott, winston, orvis etc. The orvis H3 is in my opinion the best rod out there. It is so light, fast but it's not a broomstick, I'm not even sure how to describe it but its an excellent rod and I casted most of the weights versus equally spendy competitors and I would choose the H3 any day.

Said shop also stopped carrying hardy a few years ago due to awful customer service ever since pure fishing bought them. Orvis is great, $65 for a new/fixed rod and they pay shipping both ways. Only negative I would say about their repairs is that you're looking at an easy 6-8 week repair time, but every USA made rod company is that slow or slower on repairs (for example, Scott was around 3-4 months in my experience). Easy fix to this is to have a cheaper imported backup like an echo or tfo that they'll replace in a week for $35.

Get the orvis rod, you won't regret it.

Did you compare guys sell the Asquith too?  I tested seven rods in 9 wt and liked the HD3 and Asquith the best.

I fished the 9wt H3D for a day on a guided trip. I really liked it. Light in hand. Powerful taper with a slightly softer tip, though no where near  slow. Reminded me of a lighter NRX. 

On 09/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, BrokeOff said:

Did you compare guys sell the Asquith too?  I tested seven rods in 9 wt and liked the HD3 and Asquith the best.

Asquith is a top rod but also more expensive than most other high end rods.

mike

15 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Asquith is a top rod but also more expensive than most other high end rods.

mike

Seems to be around 200 more than other premium rods.  About the same cost as two fly lines.

Now the jump in price from an NRX to Asquith is harder to swallow, especially seeing how highly regarded the NRX is.