The Salty Fisherman

Modifying Surf Rod Grips

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am currently looking into buying a new surf rod.  I found the St Croix triumph series to be fairly cheap and people seem to like it.  The one thing that I do not love about this rod is the bottom grip/reel seat section of it.  I would really love this rod to have a higher quality shrink tubing type grip.  I also really hate those two foam bumps on either side of the reel seat on this rod.  I am thinking about buying this rod and modifying it by stripping down the grips and putting in something sleeker.  If anyone has any information on modifying the grips on rods any information would be appreciated, especially techniques, materials, etc. 

Thanks, 

Salty

How about buying some shrink tube, slide it over the cork grip that you don't like, then using a heat gun to shrink the tube down. If you don't like it, you could always remove it easily. Just a thought. Good luck.

I have done it twice and even changed the reel seat,  but I turned the jobs over to a professional rod builder to have them done right. You may get more answers in the rod building forum.

I like the cork when it’s new but it’s terrible after a year or so. You get what you pay for I guess. 

Ive heard of guys using all kinds of different tape. Electrical tape, gorilla type duct tape, tennis racket grip tape, steering wheel wrap, hockey tape. Of those, the hockey tape is the only one that may work if you put work into it. Hockey tape will get old but you can add a layer, or peel it off / cut it off and start fresh. You can even do a spiral wrap underneath to get that helix look to it. But it’s still not going to be as nice as getting someone experienced to do it.

If you’re budget minded, and I am, you’ll probably go cheaper and then self provision a grip solution and deal with the consequences later! If you have any pangs of anxiety, go to a higher end rod with the better grip. Don’t plan ahead to pay for a grip job. 

Price it it out so you’re informed though. 

FYI there are likely some differences I don’t know about between blanks used in the $80-120 class of rods versus the next class up. After using a few tsunami trophy, Airwave and Airwave Elites,  I’ve come to believe that the blanks are not too different. (Somebody will be quick to point out just how wrong I am, but my trophy series rod 3/4-3 ounces feels exactly same as another guy’s Airwave in same rating except his has better components and the elite I saw in the store ha better components still. And though I never fished an elite, that I remember, I’ve held and ogled them and it’s on my wishlist.)

You pay more and you get much better Fuji guides, reel seat, handle wrap, and butt. IMHO, that’s probably where much of the price difference is reflected and then you probably get some kind of slightly more expensive blank (I’m thinking lighter blank, there’s better carbon fiber & less or no glass in it the higher end you go) thrown in with the deal. There’s almost definitely more value in the Elite versus the trophy that I own, but my budget was set in stone two years ago.

Triumph has has its proponents and they catch fish for certain. Seems heavy to me when I’ve held the 10’ and 11’ ones in the B&T, but then again, I use an 8’ or a 9’ almost exclusively anymore. So those would feel heavier.

good luck! 

I get my shrink wrap from Ryan White at Century rods. He has very soft black shrink rap it's expensive but worth it. I buy at CVS the Brown soft waterproof adhesive wound wrap. I layer that over the blank then heat shrink tube over it and it is super soft and comfortable

Don't forget about paracoard...I think it makes for a good grip..lots of info and how too's on the web. I've done two rods, and very happy with them...here's some direction from the web.( Hope this is within the rules )

1. Strip the handle down to the bare blank, and clean it up.
2. wrap the handle area with double back carpet tape
3. start at the reel seat end with about 1" of the cord running parallel with the rod, with the end pointed towards the butt stuck to the tape.
4. start wrapping down the handle OVER the tag end you just stuck to the tape, continuing down the handle keeping the coils straight as you go.
5. when you get to about 1" from the butt stop and place a loop of trot line cord on the blank below it, with the loop extending a little farther than you want to go. (remove the carpet tape from below the loop)
6. continue to wrap over the loop until you reach the the end, and cut it off about 2 or 3 inches long. (don't wrap to tight in this area)
7. run the end of the cord through the loop, then pull the loop towards the reel seat, pulling the end of the cord under and out through the wrap.
8. cut the cord off between the wraps and tuck it so it can't be seen. 
9. roll the handle on a table top or between your hands to make it firm, and even.

Edited by TimS
Please use "paste as plain text" or click the "remove formatting" link at the bottom of the post box when you paste something full of embedded advertising/links - thanks :-)

Wouldn't it been better to spend a bit more money on getting a better rod with the right setup ( grip, guide, etc ) instead? After all said and done, you'll probably spend about the same anyway. Unless you really wanted the trump rod for some reason, I would get something else, like mojo, avid, tfo, etc.

Edited November 7 by TimS 
Please use "paste as plain text" or click the "remove formatting" link at the bottom of the post box when you paste something full of embedded advertising/links - thanks :-)

Ok, sorry about that Tim.

I had no idea. Not to sharp with computers/phones.

6 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

Can anyone point us to a link for the shrink tube?

If you google fishing rod blanks a company that basically corners the market on rod building supplies will come up in ....they have it ... also cork tape doesn’t deteriorate as quickly as the Internet says it does, and it’s easy to strip and replace if need be ...

I have a Seeker rod, loved the action of the rod but hated the fat foam butt. I stripped it down to the blank , wrapped the area that I stripped with cord then used the shrink wrap. Love it.